Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I just don't know how you guys do it.  (Read 6802 times)

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
I just don't know how you guys do it.
« on: March 08, 2009, 11:11:09 pm »
I live in a sub-tropical climate and for me, beekeeping is a year long thing. I don't have to worry about if my hives are going to get through the winter, have I left enough honey, is there enough pollen, should I feed them, will the winter be harsh????????? And then when you open up the hive on the first warm day all you see is bees with their bums in the air...... dead.

Play it again Sam! Ok, order new nucs, package bees, queens and, and, and, only to have to do it all again next year! It must be so frustrating! and depressing!

And how do you manage in the far north where summers are short and winters are long. Keeping hives alive must be a nightmare.. under-estimate by a couple of days and you're wiped out.

Just tell me, how do you guys do it?

I dips me lid to ya

Offline Grandpa Jim

• House Bee
Re: I just don't know how you guys do it.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 11:44:26 pm »
I have always lived in this climate and just don't know any other way.
When we watch the Nature Channel, we would ask you, how do you live with ALL THOSE DEADLY SNAKES right outside your door :shock: :?  It's all what you grow up with.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 01:26:39 am »
apparently some of us don't do it to well   :-D

seriously, people keep bees successfully in some pretty harsh climates.  mine is not so bad.  i figure if i lose two or three hives, i'll make it up with swarms or splits.  ordering new bees is expensive and would be a last resort for me.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 01:36:10 am »
Yeah I suppose that it is Jim. Interestingly enough I haven't seen a snake in the bush for some years even though I am in it most weekends. I know that they are there but they are deaf and if you make enough noise (heavy footsteps, plenty of vibration to which they are sensitive) they are more interested in getting out of your way than they are of doing you harm. There aren't that many that will deliberately take you on unless you are a threat to them.

I just read of all those deadouts and I keep thinking that it must be like being floored by Joe Frazier and getting back on your feet again for another round.

You guys and your tenacity have my admiration

Mick

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 02:26:03 am »
There are weird ones out there that like the change of seasons. I will stay in SoFla with the two season cycle, hot and hotter.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 09:39:20 am »
There are weird ones out there that like the change of seasons. I will stay in SoFla with the two season cycle, hot and hotter.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

I concur #1 however I think Jamdown is a bit better

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 09:50:18 am »
I live in a sub-tropical climate and for me, beekeeping is a year long thing. I don't have to worry about if my hives are going to get through the winter, have I left enough honey, is there enough pollen, should I feed them, will the winter be harsh????????? And then when you open up the hive on the first warm day all you see is bees with their bums in the air...... dead.

Play it again Sam! Ok, order new nucs, package bees, queens and, and, and, only to have to do it all again next year! It must be so frustrating! and depressing!

And how do you manage in the far north where summers are short and winters are long. Keeping hives alive must be a nightmare.. under-estimate by a couple of days and you're wiped out.

I dips me lid to ya

We don't have to worry 'bout SHARKS !  :evil:

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 02:02:31 pm »
My bees were bringing in tons of pollen and busy as heck a couple days ago.  Then last night it did this:

It's freakin march in the Pacific Northwest!  It should be rain followed by sunshine followed by rain!  Not snow!!!!  It's no wonder why I lost 3 hives last year!  So much for global warming!!!!

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 03:24:38 pm »
same here.  still snowing.  went out to buy 1/2  a hog and wasn't sure i was going to make it back!  at least it's warming up and not sticking to most of the roads.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline jdpro5010

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 05:24:00 pm »
Slick Mick I don't care what you say, I will take my deadouts over those snakes any day.  Besides it really isn't that bad I quess.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 07:12:43 pm »
For six months out of the year, I can pretty much forget about them.  :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 07:51:17 pm »
If you dont go dipping your toes in the ocean or hiking through the bush you dont have to worry about either snakes or sharks. Of course you might get taken by a croc :-D (if you fell over the fence at the croc farm  :shock:

Think of it Michael, instead of having fun for 6 months a year, you could have fun for 12 months a year. Now wouldn't you like that? :)

Mick

Offline Tucker1

• House Bee
  • "The Morning Breaks, The Shadows Flee.....
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 08:04:00 pm »
We'll get a good 4" of snow today and the weather is dropping to 14 degree F this evening. You get use to it. We just knit up little sweaters for our girls and their quite happy. The sweaters aren't really a problem, it's knitting all the little mittens that takes all the time.
I'd rather knit sweaters and mittens all fall then face a thundering stampede of wombats anytime.
He who would gather honey must bear the sting of the bees.

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2009, 08:14:54 pm »
It is mild here.  I harvested some honey this January!
 :-D

Offline slaphead

• House Bee
  • Obsessive, compulsive & happy
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2009, 08:41:18 pm »
CA dreamin......

From COLD WA.

Boy I miss San Diego.

SH
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself - FDR, 1933

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2009, 09:01:27 pm »
>Think of it Michael, instead of having fun for 6 months a year, you could have fun for 12 months a year. Now wouldn't you like that?

But I do have fun 12 months a year...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline fermentedhiker

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2009, 09:04:49 pm »
Winter is the price we pay for the privilege to live amongst such beauty.  That an if the weather was nice all the time people would move here in droves and then I couldn't afford to.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams

Offline Daddys Girl

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2009, 10:16:35 pm »

As a novice beek who has just successfully overwintered two hives, and worried daily about one of them, I used a lot of paranoia, some prevention, fondant, a lot of prayers, and I practically did cartwheels when I saw that hive flying this week.  Have no idea how I'll deal with a genuine loss, and I'll have one eventually, but I'll do what I can to prevent it and continue with prayer.

:)

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2009, 11:40:31 pm »
Winter...that is why we need so many hives  :-D

I actually like it because we get a break.  Nothing gets me going like spring, and how could I get so excited about spring except for winter???

I need the seasons, and the bees do just fine with it, with some planning and forethought.
Rick

Offline Davepeg

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2009, 09:38:53 am »
You do the best you can by the girls and hope for the best each spring.  This week the weather turned a bit warmer and it was so good to see the hives active.  I did lose one hive this year, and it makes me cry each time.  But I know that we did our best and that there will be another hive to replace that one in a few weeks.  Winter is the time for our earth to relax and rejuvenate.  But when the spring comes - it is wonderful!  I don't understand how people live in a place without seasons. Each spring when the plants bloom I am amazed and in the fall the autumn colors blow me away.  I think the bees understand it as well.

We love the girls...

anything