Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Painting Bottom Boards  (Read 10891 times)

Offline leechmann

• House Bee
Painting Bottom Boards
« on: March 09, 2009, 01:39:05 pm »
I just made up some bottom boards. I am about to paint them, when I was wondering if I was supposed to paint the top portion that will be under the first deep super? Any thoughts?

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
Re: Painting Bottom Boards
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 01:47:26 pm »
I painted mine white. The stuff on the botom really stands out. Sure wish the bees would keep it cleaner, looks dirty  :roll:

Offline ccwonka

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 01:48:48 pm »
I have been told anything from PAINT EVERY INCH to IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE.  I started by painting everything, now I just let them weather naturally.  I'll probably lose a year or two's service from the hives, but others have told me they last just as long with a natural "patina" as with a good coat of paint.

You'll get 50 different opinions on your yes or no question here, in the end, it'll be up to your preference!!

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 01:50:57 pm »
Soak them in copper naphthenate, then paint them.  They'll last forever if you do.  Painting bottom boards on the inside is ok.  Just don't paint the insides of your hive bodies.  Just make sure your hives are tilted forward slightly if you're not using screened bottom boards so moisture has a place to go and doesn't pool up inside.

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline Saltcreek

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 02:05:37 pm »
Yes, paint the edges where supers or bottom board meet. Water dripping down the sides will go in the crack between the bodies and sit. It won't dry fast which can contribute to rot. The water doesn't get inside the hive because the bees have propolized the inner cracks. Even better is wax dipping which I do to all of mine now, but that takes some cash outlay to get started if you only have a couple hives.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesdipping.htm

Offline slaphead

• House Bee
  • Obsessive, compulsive & happy
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 09:26:23 pm »
Some of the old books recommend hive bodies be painted inside as well.  I think the plans for the 10-frame hive on Beesource suggest this to.

Why is this no longer recommended?

Thanks,

SH
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself - FDR, 1933

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 10:51:15 pm »
my tops and bottom boards are painted top, bottom, side, all over! every thing else is painte outsides an around top and bottom edge's, nothing inside but Bottom Boards get wet when it rains and take the most abuse, so paint all of the Bottom Board.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Tucker1

• House Bee
  • "The Morning Breaks, The Shadows Flee.....
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 06:48:52 pm »
I've painted my bottom board completely white (all sides), with two coats of exterior latex, after I had primed the wood. It seems to be holding up. I like the idea of using copper naphthenate before painting. Wood can take a real beating in eastern Washington and I'd like my hives to last a long time.

Where can you pick up copper naphthenate?

Regards,
Tucker
He who would gather honey must bear the sting of the bees.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 11:10:52 pm »
Let me chime in here, if you paint interior components of a hive whether it be bottom boards or supers make doubly sure you've given adequate time for paint to dry and odors to go away. After several days of drying consider throwing some dirt on those interior surfaces to rid odors even more so.

I am not a fan of copper napthenate it smells awful for a very long time.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 07:48:08 am »
I paint all the sides of my bottom boards. I do not paint the inside of my boxes.

The most impact of hives going bad, is leaving unused boxes and equipment sitting outside in the weather. If a hive dies, bring it in a garage. Do not have a stack of stuff sitting outside "waiting" to be used. If the boxes have bees, or are stored inside or at least under cover, they will last many years.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 11:40:53 pm »
I picked up my copper nap from our local home depot.  It was called copper green.  Good stuff but don't use it on honey supers.  Bottom boards, inner covers, and telescoping covers.  Soak it months before painting or using them. Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13