Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What's buzzing in Oregon....  (Read 2955 times)

Offline FlipflopFarmgirl

• New Bee
What's buzzing in Oregon....
« on: June 26, 2011, 06:47:26 pm »
Hey everyone!   :bee:

Born and raised a city girl but converted to farm girl about 7 or so years ago and can't imagine going back to living in a place where, not only can you smell what the neighbors are cooking, but you can also hear every word of their dinner conversations.

We share our 5 acres in Oregon with our retired dairy cow, a flock of chickens and 2 4H pigs.  We've added bees to the fun and so far so good.  My youngest son, 10, is the 4H'er and truly enjoys helping out with the bees as well.   

I was given a swarm of bees a few years back that, despite my best efforts, didn't survive.  I took some time off.  Did a lot more research and ultimately decided to wait a while before starting up again.  Well.....that was up until a few weeks ago.  I neighbor of mine had a very large swarm in the pine tree in her front yard, adjacent to the most divine lilac bush...smart bees.  Anyway...long story short, after a few days of them not moving on, I agreed to climb up the most rickety ladder I've ever been on and take the swarm.

Once again, I'm pouring through the books and making sure that the bees are well situated, well feed and happy. 

I work from home for a software company.  So I'm high tech by day, low tech by night.  There is nothing I enjoy more than taking my morning, afternoon and lunch breaks sitting in front of the hive. 

Looking forward to meeting you all and learning lots!

Carla

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: What's buzzing in Oregon....
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 07:00:07 pm »
Hey Carla, welcome to Beemaster!

Your story definitely hits a chord with me as my wife and I live in the city but have property in the country (which we hope to retire to one day!)

You are living our dream, congratulations!

We are a pretty friendly bunch and always willing to help someone new to bee keeping.

Best of luck this time around in your bee keeping endeavors!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline vmmartin

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 07:11:19 pm »
Welcome to the group.  I am sure you will fit in well.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 10:28:02 pm »
Welcome to the forum

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 10:47:18 pm »
Welcome,Carla

Offline FlipflopFarmgirl

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 11:49:49 pm »
Thanks for the warm welcome.  :-D

Yes, it was actually my husband's dream, or so I thought. Turns out...all he wanted was a couple of acres and some fruit trees.  I took it a little further than that and now he's afraid to go out of town for fear I'll have another animal or major project waiting for him when he comes home.  LOL!

Offline JoanneMarie

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 12:01:33 am »
Hi Carla,

Welcome to the forum.  I'm retired high-tech, happy to be dealing with bees, fruit trees, gardening and quilting!  Although I'm not so happy today. Somebody, more accurately some raccoon, stole the rest of my cherries!  I did get to harvest some. I thought I did a super netting job this year to keep out the critters. Where in Oregon do you live?  ( I have several quilting buddies who live in small towns in Oregon.)

Joanne
Joanne Marie

Offline FlipflopFarmgirl

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 01:15:08 am »
Ooooh quilting!  I made a baby quilt and haven't yet moved on to larger ones.  LOVE IT though. 

We live in the country between Molalla & Silverton..both small towns.  Silverton is an awesome little town with a soda shop and a one screen movie theatre.   :-D

Our cherries aren't ripe yet.  It was a cold and rainy spring.  I keep watching them though.  Stupid racoons.  ugh.  We have a problem with skunks around our place. 

:)  Carla

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 07:01:15 am »

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

My wife just finished making this for her father, he loved it!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 01:29:32 pm »
I didn't know Liz could sew JP. How nice of her to make that.

Carla

I must tell you about Joanne's quilts as she would not toot her own horn. She is a blue ribbon winner on many of her quilts and they are works of art. They are hanging all over her house on many walls and they are stunning.

Welcome to the forum Carla from another women beekeeper. Started in 2006 with 1 hive and now have 5. Have learned so much here on the forum. Spent the first few years all by myself figuring things out with the help of this forum and now have met some pretty wonderful people here in my area and have much help now with the bees.

Good luck with it all and you will get lots of help here on this forum.

Annette