Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Big Jamaican Hail To All Beeks  (Read 3768 times)

Offline Jahjude

• House Bee
Big Jamaican Hail To All Beeks
« on: March 27, 2010, 01:27:34 am »
Greetings all i've been running thru various forum topics here and thinks it's time i made a proper intro - I've recently started out and feel overjoyed so far bcuz i've been wanting to do this for yrs.
I bought 4 hives to start with 1st wk in March 2010,got a cut out from a tree last week so now i've got 5hives.Presently i'm looking fwd to my 6th since i've got another cut out scheduled for tomor :chop: Yeahman,expanding hives while knowledge expands.
  I must say i've learnt a great deal from the forums here-and i thanks all the contributors-Will keep ya'll posted on the eventful day tomor.
Plan to make my 2nd run thru of the hives i bought and will begin making official notes.
Peace & Love To All Beeks :piano: :cheer: Irie!!
I've chosen understanding over knowledge-since knowledge is all about knowing where to find facts and understanding is knowing how to manipulate knowledge...I've also chosen knowledge over beliefs!! We all need to..

Offline c10250

• House Bee
Re: Big Jamaican Hail To All Beeks
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 01:50:39 am »
What part of Jamaica are you from?  I get down there every once in a while, and would love to stop by  . . . Irie!

Offline Jahjude

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 01:53:24 am »
St.Ann on the north coast-a few miles from Ocho Rios

I've chosen understanding over knowledge-since knowledge is all about knowing where to find facts and understanding is knowing how to manipulate knowledge...I've also chosen knowledge over beliefs!! We all need to..

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 01:37:18 pm »
Hi and welcome to the forum. Its really nice to have members from all over to share their beekeeping experiences with us.
I am interested to hear about beekeeping where you live, you don't have the winters like we do so I am wondering when your main honey season is, swarms, brood build up, that type of stuff in relation to your seasons/weather.
Good to have you here.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 01:44:44 pm »
as i recall, we had another member from Jamaica.  i think he name was Sean.  i don't recall seeing him on here recently.  you can probably look him up on the membership list.  you guys might be neighbors :-)

welcome to beemaster.  we look forward to your beekeeping tales!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
    • Organic gardening and Bee Services.
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 02:23:46 pm »
I would like to find out how the tropical atmosphere works on the honey production as well welcome aboard and I look forward to learning from you too.
To bee or not to bee that is the question I wake up to answer that every morning...

Offline c10250

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 03:17:35 pm »
St.Ann on the north coast-a few miles from Ocho Rios

St. Ann . . . Marley Country!  Ya Mon. Nice!

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 03:26:48 pm »
Hey Jah,  good to have you.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline Jahjude

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 02:35:14 pm »
Thanks you all for the welcome notes and i'll be sure to keep yall informed-So far i've gotten my 6th hive,took it out a tree on Sat. I've checked a few cells and noticed a worm looking pest below some capped brood...further research has pushed me in the direction to blv it the larvae of SMB but will have to try and confirm soon(i'm keeping this new hive away from the others)
 Yesterday i made a check thru the 4hives i bought-on average they seem to be just 50% drawn out so far and all are in 10 frame boxes with foundation strips on unused frames - I've also confirmed one of them to be Queenless as there were no eggs(no evidence of laying workers either),no young larvae and just a few capped brood-they seem to be carrying on fine with there daily activities thus far bcuz i've been noticing pollens going in and cells beeing filled with nectar;What i've tried so far is taking a frame from two other hives with eggs,uncapped and capped brood so will be checking in on tham after a week with the expectation of seeing queen cell.

Offline Jahjude

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 11:07:47 am »
Continuing@ GENERAL BEEKEEPING/Jamaican Bees In Da Apiary

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 11:03:49 am »
Irie, welcome to our forum, so nice you found us.  This is a place where you will always have people that love to listen, give advice when asked, and a place to tell your stories, tales and experiences, we are an interested bunch of people.  It is wonderful to have other beekeepers from different parts of the world to join us, beekeeping is so different in every part of the world.  You're doing great with your cutouts, beautiful. Stick around, we love new members.  have that most wonderful day, with love and great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Jahjude

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 11:11:24 am »
Oooh Thanks alot Cindi for your most sincere welcome msg,Looking fwd to a wealthy exchange of knowledge ;)