Welcome, Guest

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Re: Reusing wax moth frames
« Last post by 10framer on April 27, 2017, 11:19:37 PM »
if you had a bad moth infestation there was a bigger problem before that.  if there is a lot of damage i melt the comb but normally i just scrape the cocoons off and let the bees take care of it.
GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Re: SHB poison??
« Last post by 10framer on April 27, 2017, 11:17:19 PM »
i don't even go out of my way to crush have beetles when i see them anymore.  if the hive is healthy they aren't a big deal.  i don't think most commercial beekeepers are worried about them. 

But I lost 10 Queens when I released them back into the hive.

You had to remove all the queens from your other hives for the treatment?
Yes when you start treatment you isolate the queen for 10 days to break the brood pattern.
After the 10 days she is released back into the hive.
HONEYBEE REMOVAL / Re: Bee removal help... continued with visual..
« Last post by divemaster1963 on April 27, 2017, 10:30:02 PM »
can you see down into the pipe to see the hive? is the comb attached to sides or to somthing across the pipe.IE rod for achoring chain. build platform around the top at a good working hight. get rod as long as the hie is deep ( judge this. ) get piece of 18 gauge sheet metal cut to the dia of pipe. attach one edge to pipe and wire to another side of circle. now slide the pipe and plate down the inside of the pipe past the hive and then try to lift the circle so as to seal the bottom and make a lift. he is the messy part get a rod and attach a cheap long blade to the end at right angle. and bend to lay flat against the inside of the pipe. now the fun part start cutting the comb away from the wall all the way around down to the plate. then slowly raise the plate and cut the sections off the top and put into frames.its messy and you will loose some of the bees but you get brood and nurse bees and maybe the queen.  I had a job in a old stone chimney that was 8 feet long I even had to buy hoe's to make tools.it will take time time to do. it took me 6 hours on my stomach to do it.

john
GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Re: Uncaging Queen?
« Last post by Turkey165 on April 27, 2017, 10:09:07 PM »
Thanks for responding. The guy that sold them said there is only a cork. Just went out to check on them and there all in hive. ill give a day or two check her out. Thanks Alot!
« Last post by A37 on April 27, 2017, 10:00:52 PM »
If you decide to plug the hole, I'd get the bees off her and take her inside to do it. I take mine in the bathroom and do it, she is quick and if she gets out you can catch her.
GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Re: SHB poison??
« Last post by Captain776 on April 27, 2017, 10:00:26 PM »
So far, no pests that I can see.
If I see Varroa, I will try vaporizing Oxalic acid.
I put a Joe May SHB trap in the bottom board.

Bruce
« Last post by Captain776 on April 27, 2017, 09:52:21 PM »
There should have been a cork in ne end and bee candy in the other end.
You can look at the cage, if the bees appear to be sticking their tongue in the cage, they are accepting the Queen, if you see their abdomen bending down like they are trying to sting her, she is not being accepted.
If it looks like she is being accepted, you can manually release her into the hive.

Bruce
HUMOR IS A FUNNY THING / Re: WHERE ARE TRUMP'S TAX RETURNS....???
« Last post by Captain776 on April 27, 2017, 09:43:44 PM »
No matter what your political affiliation is.........all this distraction makes this country appear weak.

I like the analogy.........wanting the President to fail is like getting on the plane and once in the seat, hoping the pilot crashes.
HONEYBEE REMOVAL / Re: Bee removal help... continued with visual..
« Last post by Captain776 on April 27, 2017, 09:41:22 PM »
Cant drill into the pipe or cut it.  They still need it as is.  Just need the bees out.
Then perhaps you need to fashion a funnel from screen and try to bait them into a bait box.
There is videos how to do this.

Bruce
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
anything