Welcome, Guest

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Re: Queens piping
« Last post by sawdstmakr on Today at 01:11:11 AM »
Well I pulled about 12 queens out of the piping hive. Marked them all and put one back in the hive and the rest are in queen cages.  Ran out of time/daylight  so tomorrow I will make up the nucs and move them. I tried to shake bees into the quad minny nuc but without brood. They just left.  I had enough bees to bee able to put the queen cages in there to keep them warm over night. I added wet rows to each.
Jim
However if you only make $3000 and you have a thousand frames, then $30 is still quite a bit of money.  Free is better if it works and if it causes no other harm.  But I am a real cheap guy. If it doesn't hurt the bees and the bees clean the comb well enough that it does not cause cancer and if it works, My view is it is a better ideal then having to spend money.
Cheers
gww
Thanks Jim,

That actually makes a lot of sense. Wonder why more keeps aren't using them.
BT will last as long as the comb does. It is not for just one year, As Jim said, he has 10 year old comb that is still protected.
Try to find BT Aizawai. It is a powder and is about 20 or 30 dollars a lb.  "454 G."  0ne teaspoon per quart, or litre, will do about 100 frames.  One lb. will do thousands of frames.

5ml per litre, will do about 100 frames.  454gm package will do thousands of frames.

https://www.amazon.com/Xentari-XenTari-BT/dp/B004CZ1MOM/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1490233902&sr=8-7&keywords=bacillus+thuringiensis

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :smile:
GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Re: Drones flying
« Last post by wadehump on March 22, 2017, 10:31:58 PM »
Supers for me this weekend saw drones last weekend forecast looks good for the next 15 days dandi lions will bloom in about 2 weeks if the forecast holds then the buildup will be on
GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Re: Swarm.
« Last post by sawdstmakr on March 22, 2017, 10:29:41 PM »
Avril,
I would lower it down, open it up and add 4 frames right away. Then leave it there till after dark and then move VW it.
Jim
A laying queen will stay on the brood area. Normally the brood does not extend into the corners so the queen only sees the solid center area and will not go up through the holes.
Jim
They were gone almost before I sent the message. While I am quite new to keeping bees my Dad and Uncle had them for years. I have never seen a swarm pitch so close to the hive and leave so quickly. I was only about 90 minutes from the time we saw them leaving the hive until they were gone. Had swarms leave the hive and never be seen again but the times Dad and Uncle Burss have a swam stay in the yard they often stayed for hours or even overnight. Gave us some time to try and get them back.

Well I learned a lot and while you can not always keep a hive from swarming there were several things I will do different next time. Also I now have a chance to try several things to help the remaining bees and/or start a new nuc or hive.  Plan to get in the hive and check the queen cells; how many, where, and see how I can help them.  If I can find several and some on more than one frame would like to pull at least on frame and place in a nuc with some frames and bees from another hive.
I agree with gww.  Check on them sooner than later.  If there is multiple queen cells on separate frames and there are still plenty of bees left you could make up a couple mating nucs.  This would increase the chance for getting a good mated queen.  If you don't want any more hives you could combine them later.
LJ,

I looked at the photo but I can't figure how it excludes the queen. Could you explain?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10