Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: BeeBee tree WOW!  (Read 3912 times)

Offline Psparr

• Field Bee
BeeBee tree WOW!
« on: July 28, 2013, 10:32:01 pm »
Was attending an outdoor wedding at a friends house about a mile and a half from my hive. I took him some comb honey as a wedding gift. He saw the honey and said come check this out. We walked to a Beebee tree on his property and you could hear the tree humming! It was amazing! Said he never saw this many bees on it till this year, (just got my hive this year) coincidence? Most of the tree wasn't even in bloom yet but it was still completely covered in bees. I'm hoping they are my bees, but who knows. got pictures on my phone but they aren't very clear.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: BeeBee tree WOW!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 10:35:30 pm »
Coincidence? I doubt it. Especially since it is the first time he has seen it.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 12:54:54 am »
If he hasn't seen bees there before this year, probably are yours.  Now are there more beebee trees in the area.  Good luck Psparr and to your bees.

Joe

Offline Better.to.Bee.than.not

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 01:08:10 am »
I want to get one of those myself, but haven't yet. ;'(

Offline hiram.ga.bee.man

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 01:35:18 am »
Your bees IMO
You ever notice that prices are inflating, but wages are deflating?

Offline Psparr

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 08:46:32 am »
Its the only one I know of. It's in a hedgerow between two fields. Mature, about 25 feet tall.  If you ever get to see one covered like that, it's a sight to see!

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 12:41:56 pm »
Its the only one I know of. It's in a hedgerow between two fields. Mature, about 25 feet tall.  If you ever get to see one covered like that, it's a sight to see!
Do you have a picture of it in full bloom?
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 06:04:50 pm »
I have found a supplier for these trees. I purchased 3 and have them planted in my front yard.  I haven'tbbeen able to find out how old they have to be before they begin to flower. Does anyone have that information?
Later,
Ray

Offline marktrl

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 06:34:07 pm »
There is a fellow poster from Jamaica that send seeds for free. I have 12 young trees, 10 about a foot tall and 2 runts. Started the seeds in January.

Offline gdog

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 07:17:24 pm »
At about five years of age the begin to get blossoms. Late summer blooms helps with a late summer flow. Lots of nectar from what I have read.

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 07:34:22 pm »
At about five years of age the begin to get blossoms. Late summer blooms helps with a late summer flow. Lots of nectar from what I have read.

Thanks.
Later,
Ray

Offline Arkwood

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 09:50:58 pm »
Should of took a picture...

I have 3 about a foot high. I planted in the wrong spot, a bit wet with all the rain. I replanted them on the other side of my property on a mound, one is taking off while the other 2 are in shock still, no leaves but a scrape of the bark shows green inside.

What are words for, when no one listens anymore.

Offline Psparr

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 10:50:22 pm »
Jim
Its a long story, but no. It's the first I've ever seen one myself. I will try to get pictures in a week or two when its full bloom.
The pictures I do have are on my temporary phone. (don't set your GOOD phone near your $1 sweet tea! they get real expensive) I cant upload pictures on this cell-a-saurus

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 11:25:54 pm »
Jim
Its a long story, but no. It's the first I've ever seen one myself. I will try to get pictures in a week or two when its full bloom.
The pictures I do have are on my temporary phone. (don't set your GOOD phone near your $1 sweet tea! they get real expensive) I cant upload pictures on this cell-a-saurus

Thanks, looking forward to seeing one.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Carol

• House Bee
    • critters and crawlers visiting or living in my back yard
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2013, 04:32:49 pm »
I just ordered seedlings and they should be here by Sat.  Looks like it will be awhile before I have any blooms for the bees...but it's a start.

Ordered them from John Yost.

Offline RC

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2013, 09:44:53 pm »
 I ordered my BeeBee trees from John last year. The trees looked good and the packaging was exceptional. I have one that's get a little grey water every day and its about 8 feet tall. The other two only get rain and they're about half that size. They respond well to water. Particularly in the sand bed I live on. They seem to like a sip of liquid fertilizer too.

Offline Carol

• House Bee
    • critters and crawlers visiting or living in my back yard
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2013, 01:23:59 pm »
I live in a "hammock" area. The only sandy spot is where the pad was built....off the pad and it is like potting soil (muck) and gets real wet in the rainy season. Not sure where I'll plant them.

I have an area in front of the bee hive that is my "wetlands" area. I've planted several needle palms that we moved when getting an area ready to build the steel building. During the summer months it can have standing water for days...plenty squishy right now. I considered using a big tub, (2'x3')(tub saplings come in) sinking it into the ground about 6" and planting one seedling in there. Would like to have one by the hive and without cutting down trees that would be the only way I could do it.

I wonder if there is something in the grey water that stimulates growth?.

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2013, 07:25:37 pm »
Probably not so much something in the grey water, as much as a dependable source of water in an otherwise sandy area.

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"