Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: First live hive beetle sighting!  (Read 3478 times)

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
First live hive beetle sighting!
« on: July 08, 2012, 01:47:19 am »
I have been lucky for a long time with no hive beetles.  I seen the first one today I think.  Little scouring bugger.  Im sure I can thank one of the local migratory beeks (no punt intended).  I really hope they dont turn my operation up side down!
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
  • Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
    • Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
Re: First live hive beetle sighting!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 11:34:26 am »
Hopefully your climate will keep them from becoming established or at least in some sort of check. Now for the sad news, beetles are like roaches where for every one you see.......

Keep your hive tool always ready from now on when doing inspections and mash them suckers whenever seen. I've even been known to tear down a stack just to go on a search and destroy mission. Good luck.
Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 07:40:55 pm »

Yeap, I agree with David, if you don't they will.  With a good strong hive and a little help from you its harder for them to get well established.  I have had a hive I lost, now I see none up to 3 or 4 in my hives. I have been taking them down to bottom brood box ever couple months, and super ever few weeks. Good luck with your bees.

Joe

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 11:10:07 pm »
Sorry to hear about your new guests. As previously stated, I hope your winters keep them in check. Keep us posted.

Good Luck,

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 03:28:26 am »
"Sorry to hear about your new guests."

It was one guest and I did get it with my hive tool!  Thankfully I have rad enough post about smashing them with the hive tool so it was an unconscious decision to grab my tool and smash that little sucka, and it felt good to know I got the little b.....d! 

Yes I hope the migratory beeks take the problem with them when they leave and any unwanted guests they leave behind get the WISCONSIN COLD SHOULDER!

Hopefully oxalic acid does a number on those that make it into winter clusters.
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 11:02:34 am »
Glad to hear about the squashed status of your beetle.  That's a good hive beetle.

Lone

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 01:19:48 pm »
Our winters take care of most of them.  I find a few every summer but they have never became a problem