Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 2477 times)

Offline Sharon B.

• Brood
« on: October 16, 2011, 01:52:13 am »
Hi, All,
I live in Oklahoma and am interested in possibly getting a beehive. I'm just not sure if it would work in my yard. Looking forward to learning more about it.

Sharon B.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 02:24:55 am »
I've had beehives in my yard for the last 37 years... I can't imagine why it won't work...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 05:37:53 pm »
I have one hive on my porch and 10 in the yard.   Welcome to the forum.

Offline Larry Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 05:47:00 pm »
Welcome to the site!

There are lots of beekeepers with hives in their back yards.

Larry

Offline Sharon B.

• Brood
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 12:51:18 am »
Thanks for the welcome. We have a German shorthair pointer that runs around in most of the yard. However, on the south side of the back yard, I have a garden which is 18' x about 65'. I did not know how much room you need to allow for the bees to enter the hive.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 05:36:52 am »
You never want to confine an animal where it can't run from the hives if attacked.  I've had a dog and bees and horses and chickens in the yard for 37 years.  As long as the animals can run away they are fine.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 09:37:46 pm »
Welcome to the site!

Offline Francus

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 10:30:53 am »
I have two hives in my back yard. I also have 3 dogs, a three year old and a 1 yr old. All of them hang out in the back yard. The dogs were pretty interested at first, but after poking their nose in the hive entrance and getting stung they stopped.

Other than the dogs and me, no one has been stung. And the dogs only once. It would seem I have not learned my lesson.
"...but Sweetie, it's basically just an Ant Farm for adults...."

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 12:49:39 pm »
I have 3 hives in my back yard, about 20 feet from our pool. My son has a Service dog (Radar) that has the run of the back yard when he wants to (Service dogs don't like to be away from their masters for very long) and 2 cats. I also have 2 grand daughters one 2 and one 5. I take the older one out with me to watch them sometimes. I'm the only one that's been stung. I did see Radar poke his nose in a hive the first week I had them but he quickly pulled it out (never reacted like he was stung) and I have never seen him do it again.
Enjoy your hives.
P.S. if you use a brush on your bees, be real gentle. I used one once to take honey and had to keep everyone else out of the back yard for 3 weeks, until those brushed bees died.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 01:50:25 pm »
Welcome to the forum   :cheer:

You might try looking for a beekeeping club in your area. They often have beginner classes and mentors to help guide you.

As for your backyard, most of us have some in our yards because they are as relaxing as watching fish and more fun. Foraging bees very seldom sting as they are working.  -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 07:37:00 am »
Quote from: mikecva
You might try looking for a beekeeping club in your area. They often have beginner classes and mentors to help guide you.

Ditto.

Here's a link to start:
http://www.okbees.org/LocalClubs.html

anything