Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Lost Hive  (Read 1643 times)

Offline achunter

• House Bee
Lost Hive
« on: December 24, 2010, 09:11:53 pm »
Sadly discovered I lost one of my what I believed to be a strong hive going into winter, not sure why it died, was a pretty depressing discovery. Hope the others are going to be alright.  :(

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Lost Hive
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 09:17:14 pm »
it is unfortunate, but for most it is a yearly event.  you may never know why.  could have been robbing that you missed.  queen could have been lost late.  heavy mite load.  combination of all....  starvation is common, but if you knew they were ok going into winter, it's a little early for that.

try not to feel bad.  i have already lost two.  they were two that i knew where iffy, but it's still a little sad.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 11:09:49 pm »
Or the aliens again.   They got one of my hives when the cold got here this year. 

Offline jhs494

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 01:16:41 pm »
I hate seeing anyone lose bees especially this early. We still have a long way until spring.
This got me thinking that I hadn't really gave the hives a check so far. I took out the stethoscope and gave a listen and they all sound good. All the hives are still low in the bottom boxes and we have had some pretty cold days so far.

Good luck with your other hives and hopefully we will have an early productive spring!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 10:51:44 pm by jhs494 »
Joe S.

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, 02:01:25 pm »
Allen ,   are they cutting up the bees like they use to cut up the cattle?

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 05:22:37 pm »
Not yet, but the circles in the snow in the back yard is very disturbing.