Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive finishes  (Read 2242 times)

Offline wisnewbee

• New Bee
Hive finishes
« on: April 05, 2011, 10:58:55 am »
Wisnewbee here with another fun and probably controversial question. LOL! :-D
I'm wondering about the finish used on hives. I've seen the video and read the information on dipping and really like that method, just can't afford it right now. :'( I saw the pictures of the hive bodies that were posted of varnished hive bodies by Shanevrr,  and really liked the look of the natural wood. The hives I'm working on will be kind of a showcase hive. My girlfriend wanted something special. She wanted to do rose mulling on them. :shock: She ended up using a woodburning tool to do ivy running up the edges. It does look nice. :-D I'm planning on applying varnish today. Considering that when you dip, the wax/rosin is on every surface (inside & outside), would it be okay to varnish the inside of the hive too? A related question for those that use varnish. Does the wood change color (fade to gray) over time? When the hive bodies are done I'll post a picture so you can see them. Thanks for the input.

Bill

Offline Shanevrr

• Field Bee
Re: Hive finishes
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 09:28:39 pm »
i like the natural look also, much more than painted.  but its a little pricy compaired to paint.  Varnish is a marine grade finish. so it will look good for years.  ive seen to many pics of hives with paint peeling off.

you may have to put 2 to 3 coats on depending on applicater and the glosser the better but i chose satin by mistake.  you dont have to do inside.  as the sun is what does the damage to exterior.  i think deck sealer will work to but varnish is better from what i was told.  buy the cheap disposible brushes at lowes, there like a buck.  i used one quart for 8 bodys 4bottoms and lids
www.Valleybeesupply.com
"A responsible beekeeper is a successful one"
Shane C.

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
  • Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
    • Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 10:58:35 pm »
I just put a couple coats of Watco Teak Oil finish on one of my cypress boxes this evening and am liking the look. I hit the boxes with 100 grit to knock off the worst of the edges then a few passes of 220 to slick it up and slapped it on with a rubbing down with OOOO steel wool after each coat. I may hit again in the morning if I think it needs it.
Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 11:03:13 pm »
Ya'll got too much time on your hands :-D

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 11:17:59 pm »
Scott, I’m still waiting for that painting race between you and the AceBird.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 01:11:44 am »
All I can say is "bring it on!".
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 10:57:52 pm »
Whew, Davy Mac!  Sounds like a lot of work.  Rather spend my time building new deeps and mediums.
"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.