Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Foundationless frames half drawn.  (Read 2203 times)

Offline TheApprentice

• Brood
Foundationless frames half drawn.
« on: October 03, 2014, 12:02:44 pm »
Hello, I recently added some foundationless frames to a couple of my supers. I had new frames with a sheet of foundation alternating with pure foundationless frames. It has been about two weeks now and the foundationless frames are coming in but there are a lot of gaps. Most of the foundationless have two separate combs being built in the same frame or are one bigger comb but are mostly centered and are having trouble reaching the bottom and edges.

Will the bees continue to fill in the whole frame? If they do not is there something I can do to stimulate them to finish it?

Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much. :)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Foundationless frames half drawn.
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 12:26:13 pm »
As with most questions about beekeeping, that depends on your location. Please go to the Profile tab and update your location. If you are down under, which I suspect, your bees continue to build the wax. The important thing for you is to make sure is is staying in the frame and to correct it early if they start in the wrong direction. If you are going into winter, depending how far north you are, soon they will stop building wax.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline TheApprentice

• Brood
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 12:33:41 pm »
As with most questions about beekeeping, that depends on your location. Please go to the Profile tab and update your location. If you are down under, which I suspect, your bees continue to build the wax. The important thing for you is to make sure is is staying in the frame and to correct it early if they start in the wrong direction. If you are going into winter, depending how far north you are, soon they will stop building wax.
Jim

Okay, thank you. I will continue to track their progress. My bees have been wonderful to me thus far and I am sure they will continue in being so. :)

Offline hjon71

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 07:42:53 pm »
I agree. In Florida you shouldn't have much trouble getting those frames completely drawn. It may take longer than say spring during a heavy nectar flow but your bees will fill the frame. Don't be too surprised to see some holes right around the edges though on those foundationless frames. Bees like to make it easy to access both sides. A bee shortcut LOL.
Quite difficult matters can be explained even to a slow-witted man, if only he has not already adopted a wrong opinion about them; but the simplest things cannot be made clear even to a very intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he already knows, and knows indubitably, the truth of the matter under consideration. -Leo Tolstoy

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 05:50:35 pm »
I'm no judge of what will happen this time of year in Florida... but eventually they will finish them...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 06:11:42 pm »
find our be club online
http://www.palmbeachbeekeepers.com

we have a winter feeding vid for new bees

we have a calendar tied to south Florida

Florida Beekeeping Management Calendar1
from IFAS extension
UF

Offline Santa Caras

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 01:18:43 pm »
Eventually yes, they will fill it out. may be in spring but eventually one day you look at it and it will be top to bottom side to side.