Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: OK you Aussie beeks, where do you sell your honey??  (Read 6249 times)

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
OK you Aussie beeks, where do you sell your honey??
« on: October 06, 2010, 06:50:33 pm »
Most of my honey has to date been sold to a small but exclusive market but with 7 hives now this market cant handle my output.

So I am wondering how/where the rest of us sell our honey

Slicko

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
Re: OK you Aussie beeks, where do you sell your honey??
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 08:05:29 pm »
Good question. With the number of my hives hitting double figures in the space of 2 weeks I'm going to have exactly the same issue. I am planning on selling a few at work, but that wont make much of a dent in the stockpile.

Is the local market the go? Thats a lot of time standing around for just a few sales.

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 08:22:41 pm »
Yeah, I have the same thoughts about the local market.

I have been thinking of giving the local deli a go and wholesaling to them but it depends on what mark up they want

Mick

Offline Pete

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 10:07:00 pm »
I give all of my honey to my kids. They go door to door and sell to neighbours and our friends.

We keep a 1/3 and they share the other 2/3. They are saving it and accounting for it in a book etc (they are 7 and 9yo).

Offline Mardak

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 03:30:20 am »
Sell it by the kilo at say $4.00 is pretty reasonable starting mark. Anything greater is a bonus compared to the professional beeks out there. Local markets are a good place if you get the appropriate license. Plus the effort to set up or just on sell to one the many stall holders. Honey keeps for years if stored properly.

Offline Culley

• House Bee
    • my beekeeping page on twitter
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 07:26:30 am »
Mardak, are you saying $4/kilo is a bulk price?

Offline Pete

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 08:21:52 am »
6$ per KG is the going wholesale rate i believe.

Offline westmar

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 08:09:44 pm »
hi
   i get 6.50kg for my honey.i went picked up some food grade drums 200Lt store honey in.i was told in QLD AS A HOBBYST YOU ARE ALOUDE TO SELL 205LT HONEY PER YEAR TO A PACKER WITH OUT THE TAX MAN WORRYING U.THIS ISNT WRITEN IN STONE .HAS ANY ONE HEARD OF THIS.I WAS TOLD THIS AT LAST FIELD DAY IN QLD.there is a buyer at mt Me QLD that buy of hobbyist.last time i was in contact it was around 3.00 a kg.i decided to sell mine private.

Offline Culley

• House Bee
    • my beekeeping page on twitter
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 08:45:02 pm »
That'd be Bush Honey. I've lived near there.

http://www.bushhoneyaustralia.com.au/

I sell small amounts $5/kilo in glass jars.

Offline Meadlover

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2010, 01:28:07 am »
To date I have sold all of my honey at my work and the missus work.
I tell everyone that it's raw, untreated, and that I 'Organically Manage' the hive using no Antibiotics, pesticides etc.
I have been selling it in normal sized reused glass jars (400-600g) and getting $10/kg.
The comb honey I have been putting in the clear plastic 'chinese' style takeaway containers and have been selling that for $15/kg.

Sounds like I'm getting good money for mine, although we have a decent amouint of people at work so supply v demand  8-)

I may not be able to sell it all this season though, as currently I have 6 hives and have started another trapout last week, might go suss out another this arvo that I got a call for last week. If all else fails I'll make a crapload of mead  :-D :-D :-D

ML

Offline westmar

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2010, 03:50:41 am »
yea never get that sort money from packer,i was selling red gum to a butcher shop for marination good while it lasted he only wont's red gum I'm out off it now.had a horse woman get in contact with me wonting 20Lt for horse dressings using it when they get cuts.

Offline Meadlover

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 07:37:42 am »
Here's something I have been thinking about and I'm interested to hear ideas from other beeks:

Since most people are prepared to pay extra for convenience, and most of us run out of containers to sell our honey in......would anyone be interested in buying a bulk pack of either honey jars and lids, or squeeze bottles for honey?

So far I have been reusing glass jars and lids, but I think with 6+ hives this season I may not be able to find enough jars and lids to do the job. I am also not prepared to pay the high prices that the beekeeping supply shops are selling them for.

Although in principle I am against using the plastic squeeze bottles for wastage/recycling reasons, I may have to buy some containers anyway, and honey packaged in that way always sells for more, at least it does everywhere I have ever seen honey for sale.

Just an idea. Anyone in the Brisbane area want to do a bulk-buy?

ML