Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cedar chips in the smoker for varroa control?  (Read 14122 times)

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Cedar chips in the smoker for varroa control?
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2006, 01:30:13 am »
Finsky,

What makes you think the honey would be contaminated by the Cedar?  I've used Cedar for hives since 1959 and I'm still alive.  Properly dried Cedar is not a problem.  Cypress is a type of Cedar and is and has been used in Hives in the Southern US for longer than I've been around.  No complaints of Cedar Poisoning.

Amercian Hemlock on the other hand is a totally different story.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2006, 02:03:46 am »
Quote from: Brian D. Bray
Finsky,

What makes you think .

It was just a bad joke.

Offline Zoot

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2006, 12:03:59 pm »
Someone mentioned spanish cedar a few posts back; spanish cedar is most commonly found in higher quality cigar boxes and humidor funrnishings. It's pest repellant properties are the strongest of all the cedar woods as it's ability to endure the elements. It has also become a favored wood for exterior woodwork (far superior to cypress, at least as good as redwood and far denser).

I have a large quantity on hand and have been pondering it's feasability for hive boxes, curious as to whether it's powerful aromatic properties could prove distasteful/beneficial to the bees. Anyone tried it?

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2006, 12:41:27 pm »
Honey takes easy aromas from out world. Honey aroma goes through thick plastic cover.

Offline beemad

• New Bee
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2006, 01:33:39 am »
after reading an artical on the net about using fgmo with a fogger we thought we would give it a go a couple of my 100 hives had a bad varroa infestation using the fgmo and the fogger has reduced mite numbers and has helped the bees recover and produce a good surplus of honey . regards simon

anything