Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: For those who open feed using a 55gal drum or similar  (Read 1745 times)

Offline adamant

• House Bee
For those who open feed using a 55gal drum or similar
« on: October 29, 2013, 06:26:22 pm »
Share how u feed using a drum?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Re: For those who open feed using a 55gal drum or similar
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 08:34:38 pm »
Maybe in a few years.., I haven't mastered the pint jar thing yet :)
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 12:41:16 am »
I don't but a guy in my local club does.  He put 1/3 to half a drum in an empty drum, puts pine straw on the syrup.  On top of the drum he places a old super box with a piece of tin over the box and a weight on that to help keep it on.  He has this setup at his yards.  I am still using sugar syrup in blackburns syrup jars.  There is another guy in our local club that gets in lots of corn syrup that he supplies  to other beeks.  I have to mix the sugar but with only a few hives it is cheaper for me, I have the time.  And I am out there once or twice a week, can see a little of what they are doing, and can at least listen to them.  There are not many days down here that our bees are flying some.  Hope this is of some help.

Joe

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 05:46:34 pm »
I don't open feed either,  but I have seen guys who cut holes in the side of the barrels near the top and cover the drums with plywood.  This keeps the rain out,  but lets the bees in through the holes.   Straw or hay in the barrel prevents massive drowning.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison