Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: swarm/cutout...what to do??  (Read 1339 times)

Offline brit.thebee

• House Bee
    • PollenNation
swarm/cutout...what to do??
« on: May 01, 2013, 03:02:27 pm »
On Monday we got a call that there was a swarm in a tree and, about 50 feet away, a pretty established hive living in a roof/wall.  The homeowners wanted us to take the swarm out of the tree and to try and get the bees out of the wall without cutting the wall.  They said the bees have been there about 3 years.  It is very active!  We got the small swarm out of the tree and took it to our bee yard and it is still there, working away.  We started to vac the bees out of the roof but there were too many and we couldn't get into the walls far enough.  So our plan now is to seal it up and make a bee escape and try to get them to go into a hive box.
The homeowners just called and said there is another, larger swarm in the exact spot in the tree where we removed a swarm Monday.  The bees in the roof are still working and bringing in pollen and so are the bees in our beeyard.  Could these be splits from the large hive in the roof?
What would you do?  We need a plan.
Thanks!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: swarm/cutout...what to do??
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 03:10:57 pm »
There have been many posts on "trap outs".  I would read up on them.  I think there are probably some u-tube videos as well.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 03:18:35 pm »
I have several trap out videos posted on my youtube channel youtube.com/MrBeedude and you can read all about how to do them with iddee's help.

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,20301.0.html

As for the swarms, a strong colony may cast a primary swarm followed by several after swarms or "virgin" swarms. I took four mout of the same tree earlier this year.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 03:27:55 pm »
be sure to read the part where if you leave the comb and all it contains in the wall, you end up with a buggy, melted, mess.  getting the bees out is rarely the problem.  getting the hive out is the thing.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline brit.thebee

• House Bee
    • PollenNation
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 04:58:02 pm »
The new swarm was taking off from the tree just as we were showing up to get it! 
Thanks for the responses regarding the trap-out.  I'll let ya know...

anything