Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Basswoods are in bloom.  (Read 1767 times)

Offline beehappy1950

• House Bee
Basswoods are in bloom.
« on: July 03, 2011, 11:20:35 pm »
I finally have honey going into the supers. Took about 6 stings to find out, but I did it. Hows everybody else doing? Harold

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
Re: Basswoods are in bloom.
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 03:10:27 am »
Mine are about to pop open.  Im out of boxes of course again dang it, making splits trying to prevent swarming so into the brood chambers the basswood honey will go, at least ill get lots o drawn comb.  No ill be good.  Star thistle is about to pop in a few days too and ill get a good month and a half flow from that and I got clover and alfalfa at the other yard so send over any empty supers.
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline yockey5

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 08:44:20 am »
Not doing good in NE Indiana.

Offline c10250

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 09:42:13 am »
The flow is on in Northern Illinois.  Basswood popped about a week ago.  I've got two full supers and need to find a third.

In Southern Wisconsin the flow hit last week.  The hive outside Monroe put on 25 lbs in 1 week.

Ken

Offline bens

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 02:35:37 pm »
I've got 2 large  American basswoods in bloom 300 feet from my 2 hives.  And not a single honey bee on them.  Lots of bumble bees and the like but none of my bees. 

Offline SawBee

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 07:53:09 pm »
c10250 I like your graphs.   Are they from your hives?  If they are, I assume you have scales under the hives.  The graphs provide interesting viewing.

Offline c10250

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 09:40:33 am »
c10250 I like your graphs.   Are they from your hives?  If they are, I assume you have scales under the hives.  The graphs provide interesting viewing.

Yes, the hives I mentioned are both on platform scales.  There's more you can learn about your hive than just how much nectar they are collecting.  For example, you estimate how many pounds of bees are out foraging at any time.  It's also fun to see how much nectar they evaporate every night.  Also, in the winter, you can see how quickly they go through stores. 

The hive weight also gives you a good idea when it's time to harvest.  You don't even need to open the hive up to determine that.

Ken

anything