Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: west nile  (Read 4537 times)

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
west nile
« on: May 18, 2007, 02:50:39 pm »
it's that time of the year again.  got to thinking about this when talking to a friend.  she complained that she'd been working in her garden and been chewed up by mesquites.  she also mentioned that she had not gotten around to immunizing her horses.

thought i'd mention it.  i hadn't been thinking about it either.  we have only had cases of west nile in oregon for the last two years or so.

it has taken years to make people aware of lyme disease.  west nile can be even worse for many. the neurological consequences can be long term and severe.  for horses that become symptomatic, there is a 50% loss either by death or loss of use.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: west nile
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 08:08:43 pm »
Yeah but what happened to SARS?  ;)

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 09:05:50 pm »
i don't think you can get SARS working in your garden?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 10:01:42 pm »
Flesh eating bacteria maybe.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 10:34:20 pm »
yup, and tetanus and e. coli.....:-)  gardening is dangerous.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 12:52:18 am »
Kathy, old post, lost by the wayside.  Didn't hear too much of the West Nile Virus this year.  Was it more common down south than before?  Best of this great day, the wonderful life to go with it.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service