Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: the ladies are angry  (Read 3035 times)

Offline bhough

• New Bee
the ladies are angry
« on: August 18, 2007, 09:01:08 pm »
Dear Friends,

This is my first year with bees.  I bought a great nuc (from Bjorn Apiaries near Harrisburg, PA) and they have been doing great.  However, over the last few weeks, they have been alot more aggressive.  Previously, I could open the box and do whatever I want, now they are buzzing my head and sneaking into my shoes to bite me!  I think there are several possible explanations: 1) I am a rookie and this is how bees behave when their hive is threatened 2) I am using shredded paper for my smooker and need to use something less toxic (they seem to get even madder when I smoke!) 3) I have irascible bees. 

Any suggestions?
b

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Re: the ladies are angry
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 09:33:33 pm »
bee's get more aggressive during dearth's an being queenless, first you should check and see if you have a queen in the hive, if you do I would suspect a dearth is going on....... if you cant fined a queen look for eggs and larva, sometimes a queen will shut down duing a dearth and unless you can find her you will not know being new to beekeeping, just my 2 pennies worth !!!!! 
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline beeginner

• House Bee
  • The swarm I hived
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 09:37:41 pm »
For a smoker use pine needles. Try and stay away from any thing that has been treated. Like papers cardbord burlap + you dont even know what was in the burlap might be someing really toxic to the bees. I use pine needles thats really good smoke. Or you can use pine cones corncobs or old wood.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 10:02:08 pm »
with my bee's I very seldom use smoke, I always have a smoker with me though because some times the bee's cover the tops of the frames and I use it to push them down, but that happen only a few times.......

Amateurs built the ark,

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 10:02:42 pm »
B, what Ted says applies. Also, as your hive grows in numbers they can get more defensive. Are you sure you are smokin the bees enough before you open the hive? Smoke the entrance, then puff more as you open the cover. They will buzz loudly, then will calm down and feed on honey. Burlap is a great smoker fuel, just get it untreated, I do.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 10:10:26 pm »
JP, the next time I am visiting all my kinfolk in Denham Springs I might make a trip your way to visit,,,,, just will need your address then.....I am from louisiana and I am the only Black sheep to move from there, but one day going to move to McComb Mississippi, got some farm land there.....

Amateurs built the ark,

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 10:17:29 pm »
Sounds good Ted, we have property half a mile from Brookhaven, in Bogue Chitto, about 20 minutes from Mcomb. Going to put bees on it this season coming up. Will plant it in three weeks.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline Potlicker1

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2007, 09:01:32 am »
I can tell you from first hand experience that my first year nucs were mellow too, at first. I think it's because most are house bees. But after numbers built up and some honey came in they became more defensive. Just doing what you or I would do if someone came poking around our house uninvited.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007, 09:08:55 am »
Make sure it's cool smoke blowing into the hives,not smoke that has been superheated with a lot of air from the bellows of the smoker!

Offline bhough

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2007, 06:03:24 pm »
Thanks guys! Good advice.  I think I'm going back to duck-tapping my ankles and i'll buy some of those fancy leather gloves instead of using my gardening gloves. 
b

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2007, 06:19:51 pm »
B, check Home Depot for some gloves they carry, that I use. I promise you will have protection and dexterity with these gloves. They are rubber, light blue from wrist up and a slightly darker blue on the palms. The palms have a texture. They can be washed off unlike leather or canvas gloves. I pay, if my memory serves me right $3.95-$4.95 for the gloves. They are very durable and worth the cost.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2007, 06:26:31 pm »
Baby powder on the hands can help keep the bees distracted from your hands. It has worked for me.I never wear gloves

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2007, 07:09:50 pm »
I rarely use gloves on my own hives. I perform lots of cutouts and use them on aggressive hives. For those who don't have the experience or are sensitive to stings, keeping gloves handy is valuable.