Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Winter beekeeping...  (Read 33539 times)

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
Re: Winter beekeeping...
« Reply #100 on: February 12, 2013, 05:23:24 pm »
You are missing that FINLAND is one small land in the world,
mvh edward  :-P

and Böna City and hives on the roof of city theather.  Everyone has its "local" style

If you know something, Finland is not a small land.
Sweden is in area list 57th and Finland 64th. United Kingdom is 80th
Monaco is 215 th
Language barrier NOT included

Offline dfizer

• House Bee
« Reply #101 on: February 12, 2013, 05:38:13 pm »
You are missing that FINLAND is one small land in the world,

and Böna City and hives on the roof of city theather.  Everyone has its "local" style

If you know something, Finland is not a small land.
Sweden is in area list 57th and Finland 64th. United Kingdom is 80th
Monaco is 215 th

And Finski what does this have to do with the thread topic... given that this is a thread I started, I consider it my thread therefore please honor my request to keep the discussion to the topic at hand.  I am a relatively new bee keeper and am learning a lot from the likes of you and others on this site however I find it ridiculously unnecessary to compare country size. 

Should you have advice to offer me please feel free to chime in - otherwise please refrain from useless posts.

Thanks in advance for understanding and complying.

David

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #102 on: February 12, 2013, 05:44:57 pm »
Ask that from Böna boare.

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #103 on: February 12, 2013, 05:49:29 pm »
I guess we'll have to wait and see what colonies of mine survive before we can compare w/ previous years.  I've been doing this awhile, but insulated hives are new to me.  

I've got 2 months before a dandelion blooms around here, but there were fresh "yellow polka dots" in the snow in front of 6 of 8 hives today  8-).
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #104 on: February 12, 2013, 05:57:49 pm »
I have kept insulated hives 50 years, and I have payed my first apartment from capital citys with those honey money.

I have kept bees to in single wall hives 20 years. I know them boath how they work in practice.

Hive walls act as freezener? Mad idea because bees produce the heat. We have 4 winter months that you do not much see the sun.
Just now sun angle is 14 degree and hives are inside snow. It is same as in London 21.12.

I dig hives from snow on the first week of March. Hives keep the colonies warm like humans in their houses.

Just now our day length is 9 hours and we have 15 hours dark. I have not seen sun for many days.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 06:12:53 pm by Finski »

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #105 on: February 12, 2013, 06:45:11 pm »
Ask that from Böna boare.

?? my name is edward  and you seem to have missed the bigger point  :roll:

there are many other countries with many different types of climates and types of winter.Winter in northern regions+ mountains are harsher but even the low lands and southern countries have winters, they just are not as harsh and extreme as in FINLAND, BUT IT IS STILL WINTER for them

Different countries, different climates, different styles of keeping bees, through exchanging knowledge and ideas we all learn and understand more about bees and how other beekeeper keep there bees.
No right or wrong as long as you know what,why, and when you want to do something.

mvh edward  :-P

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #106 on: February 12, 2013, 06:52:34 pm »

?? my name is edward  and you seem to have missed the bigger point  :roll:

Yes, Grand Ego.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #107 on: February 12, 2013, 08:15:58 pm »
>Finland is not a small land.

Finland: 338,424 km2 or 130,596 sq mi
Germany: 357,021 km2 or 137,847 sq mi
Nebraska: 200,520 km2 or 77,354 sq mi

Almost as big as Germany.  Pretty big for Europe. Half again bigger than Nebraska...

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #108 on: February 12, 2013, 08:58:33 pm »
>Finland is not a small land

Let me clarify

5.4 million people live in Finland http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_population 115 of 195 countries(half of the world live in the first seven countries), my point being that the monopoly of what is winter is not exclusive to beekeepers from Finland  :-\

Offline dfizer

• House Bee
« Reply #109 on: February 12, 2013, 09:31:26 pm »
Really guys?  Who gives a %^&* how big any land is... please keep your self-serving comments to yourselves.  Or PM each other.  I needed advice and am still quite curious if I need to do anything else and all you clowns want to do is compare the size of your lands.  Grow up and please only contribute to the topic at hand. 

I'm beginning to think that you guys have far too much time on your hands - given the best use of some of it is used to type senseless posts designed to correct someone else. 

It is very unsettling to think that with all this knowledge that the only advice is coming in the form of how big certain countries are. 

David

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #110 on: February 12, 2013, 09:42:42 pm »
What is winter for you?

Is winter the same all around the world?

To grasp how to keep bees in winter you have to determine what kind of winter it is and how harsh(or not) and how long.

The winters in far north and mountain climate are not the same lowland southern regions.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #111 on: February 13, 2013, 01:17:48 am »
What is winter for you?

Is winter the same all around the world?

You should move to Geography Forum

This is proper: "A place to ask questions, give answers, and to talk about any aspect of geography that interests you."

http://geography-site.co.uk/pages/forum.html

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #112 on: February 13, 2013, 01:50:34 pm »
To understand why different beekeepers keep there bees in different ways it is important to take into consideration the different climate variables.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #113 on: February 13, 2013, 03:03:52 pm »
To understand why different beekeepers keep there bees in different ways it is important to take into consideration the different climate variables.

Even here beekeepers nurse their bees with 10 methods and they are ready to kill others which have different opinion.
For example mesh floor is "modern" and solid bottom is "old age".  In ventilation we get a big bebate as we want.

However, bees stand many kind of giants of intelligens.

But if I read every day that countries are different, I cannot stand that intelligens.
That should be clear before he opens internet.

And good yields?  It depends on pastures where you put your hives. 

If you do not want to extract honey, it is same how you nurse bees. If hive dies, you get a swarm from somewhere.

Love bees, that is nonsense. - Get a life.

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #114 on: February 13, 2013, 03:38:23 pm »
Really guys?  Who gives a %^&* how big any land is... please keep your self-serving comments to yourselves.  Or PM each other.  I needed advice and am still quite curious if I need to do anything else and all you clowns want to do is compare the size of your lands.  Grow up and please only contribute to the topic at hand. 

I'm beginning to think that you guys have far too much time on your hands - given the best use of some of it is used to type senseless posts designed to correct someone else. 

It is very unsettling to think that with all this knowledge that the only advice is coming in the form of how big certain countries are. 

David

Then what is your question?  It seems that your questions have been addressed.  I don't care to go back and read everything, but did you ever check to see if they had stores?  I seemed to recall that you opened it up, but did not check their stores.  Pop the lid and look.  You do not have to pull frames, but if you see capped honey they are ok.  If they have none and are at the top then feed.  Options have been given.  Fondant, dry sugar, honey balls. If you have no other related issues then either let the topic meander in whatever way it will or ask the mods to close it if you don't prefer it to meander. 
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #115 on: February 13, 2013, 03:53:24 pm »
It is helpful to understand what climate people are in when they give you answers.

Here is some useful information in that regard:

Nebraska:
 "Nebraska's highest recorded temperature is 118 °F (48 °C) at Minden on July 24, 1936 and the lowest recorded temperature is −47 °F (−44 °C) at Camp Clarke on February 12, 1899."  I've seen -40 F or more two different winters that I lived in the panhandle and one of them it did not get above -40 F every night for two months.  The record at Camp Clarke was matched in the early 80s as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nebraska#Climate

Finland:
  "In northern Finland, particularly in Lapland, the winters are long and cold, while the summers are relatively warm but short. The most severe winter days in Lapland can see the temperature fall down to −45 °C (−49 °F)."
  "Even in the most temperate regions of the south the harshest winter nights can see the temperatures fall to −30 °C (−22 °F)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finland#Climate

It's not only about latitude...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #116 on: February 13, 2013, 04:01:56 pm »

It's not only about latitude...

Michael. YOu should get some reindeers to your farm.

Like Yakutsk in Siberia. 62 degree, almost same where Edward lives.

Temsp next days Celsius
-  37C

-23 C

Highway to Yakutsk

Local vehicle

« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 04:18:15 pm by Finski »

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #117 on: February 13, 2013, 04:20:31 pm »
Why people live in Yakutsk: Diamond mine . 50% out of export is diamonds.

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #118 on: February 13, 2013, 06:42:56 pm »
Looks like a good place to implement a "Land Value" Tax so dividends can be distributed to local citizens, BUT....WHAT does any of it have to do w/ beekeeping? 

The OP was right, nothing much going on here  :(
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #119 on: February 13, 2013, 06:49:33 pm »
 :lau: you're a funny guy  :lau: , you quote my posts and then go on a  :brian: rant  :brian: about other things   :wierd: