Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Sting Therapy  (Read 7910 times)

Offline Angi_H

• House Bee
Re: Sting Therapy
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2007, 02:21:07 am »
I know what you mean by to young. I am only 34. And with the fibro and the stiffness I feel when I wake up in the morning or when I have sat for long time I get up and I feel like I am 80. Not fun when you are 34. We went to the inlaws and I slept in the old bed they had. Well I had maybe one hr of sleep on that hard as a brick bed. And I am going to a huge poultry show Jan 11-13th in Stockton and I am worried about the hotel bed. 2 nights and it could be pure hell sleeping then I have to drive 3 hrs home on Sunday afternoon. Should be interesting to say the least,

Angi

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2007, 01:36:50 pm »
Steve, what a wonderful account of how the stings have helped you out, yea!!!!  Thank goodness for our quest for knowledge.

Now Angi, you need to find a way when you travel to sleep more comfortably.  You need to try to look after the sleep stuff, that is when we heal and if you are not sleeping, you are not even beginning to rejuventate and heal yourself from a day's torments.

Can you do something like this when you are sleeping elsewhere.  Go and find a really decent "egg carton" foam that you can roll up and take with you.  Make a sheath for it, so it will be like a mattress with a cover on it.  Or just bring along a sheet you can wrap it in.  Do you know what I mean by the egg carton foam?  I am positive that you do.   When we sleep on the porch in the summertime, we always have foams that we take out there with us to sleep on.  They are a life saver, because I can't stand too hard of a surface either, it hurts me.

This foam that you bring along could make the difference between a sleep that is crap and a sleep that is beauty.  Chose beauty, hee, hee, it will make you feel that way too.  Go for a better quality foam, if you can afford to do that, treat yourself.  I know that foam can be rather on the expensive side, but save some pennies and just do it.  I wish you well at your show.  How many, what types of birds are you bringing to show?  Make sure that if you can you take some cool pictures to share with us, that would be wonderful.  Wish I was there to see you.  Have a wonderful and greatest of days.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2007, 10:33:24 pm »
All those aching joints.  I've had arthroscopics done on my left knee and right ankle.  I now wear a brace on both as weakness lingers.  The Doc says I should do a knee replacement in 2008 but I'm a little torn about that.  There's pro and con both ways so I'll think about it. 

I worked on the fence for the goat pasture the other day and ended up having the ambulance crew carry me out on a clam shell stretcher.  Every jolt hurt and it took some STRONG medicine to get me back on my feet.  I'm still not back up to snuff but danged if I will let it keep me down.  I have since build and installed (with lifting help) a set of roosts and nest boxes for the pigeon pen.

Tomorrow I go back to working on the fence--hopefully I can stay out of the ER this time.  I do have a work crew from the church coming to help finish the portion of the fence I'm currently building on Saturday.  Then I have to build an arbor for the Raspberries and the Blackberries. 

I need to make a small observation hive for the bedroom window that I can use for my apitherapy--this going the winter without it is a bummer.  Bad Planning don't you think?
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2008, 10:14:35 am »
Brian, holy smoke!!!!  What an event with pain, nasty, nasty, I wish you well.  Must have been pretty intense for you to head to the ER.  Glad things turned out as OK as they did, yea!!!!!

I know about the power of the members of your church to come and help.  You will remember that my entire family is Mormon.  Only one of my siblings and his family members are active though now, we all rest are not.  There has been many times when my Sister has called upon the members to come and help her on her farm when her and her husband split up.  She was a lone woman trying to raise her children on a fairly broken down farm.  They helped her do so many things that helped her out with some big stuff.  Wonderful that all she had to do was call on them. 

I have deep respect for the members that helped her out, and I I know how powerful that can be, the strength in numbers.

So yea, good for you Brian.  You have a great way about you, you have an attitude that is great too, nothing will bring you down.  Yea!!!!

About surgery.  I had arthroscopic surgery on my left shoulder, a hideously and terribly torn rotator cuff that had happened during the summertime at a family reunion.  The kids were all swimming in the pool and the kitchen floor had water on it.  I told one of the kids that they should sop it up or someone was going to fall down.  Well, guess I shouldn't have said that, because on second thought, I thought I would wipe it up myself and went to get a towel.  Well, guess what?  My feet slipped out from underneath me, landed on my butt, my arms had gone backwards to brace the fall, and man oh man, that was the end of my shoulder.

I lived with pain for about a year and a half, until finally a MRI discovered the terrible rips.  I had had ultrasound, x-rays, physiotherapy, massage, everything, to try to remedy this malade.  I believe that all the manipulation in the shoulder had made it more worse.  No one had realized that it was a badly torn rotator cuff and probably tore it more.  Sounds gruesome, but that is the fact.

The MRI was a nightmare.  I won't go deep into details, but I told my doctor that I was claustrophobic, he gave me drugs to sedate me, that didn't even work.  After two failed attempts at going into this chamber and the tech telling me he would have to reschedule if I didn't calm down, my Husband spoke to me.  He relaxed me, he put me into a deep relaxation state, something that can be experienced with hypnosis, got my breathing down to very deep and counting each breath.  By that time I was able to go back into the MRI tunnel.  I knew the procedure would take a specific amount of time.  So I deep breathed and counted, slowly, deliberately, tried to stay in that hypnotic state that my Husband had created.  The counting would take me through each minute, and I actually finished the test.  It was the scariest thing I have ever done.  I never even realized that I was that claustrophobic, until I went into that tunnel that had no end, in my mind's eye!!!

The surgery went well, after the surgeon advising me that he didn't know if he could repair it arthroscopically or if he would have to do the open shoulder surgery.  He wouldn't know until he had me under the anaesthetic.  Fortunately it was arthroscopic. I have a tiny divet in the top of my shoulder, full functionality of the shoulder, and probably more stronger than it ever was.  But I wish that I had the use of bees' stings during the recovery period.  It was quite a long time, and I bet stings could have really lessened the issues with pain.  Well, sorry, I do ramble, bear with me.  Have a wonderful and beautifulest of day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline CBEE

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2008, 02:51:17 pm »
I read some of the medical problems you all have and I think GEE mine aren't so bad.

Offline Gail Di Matteo

• New Bee
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2008, 06:13:07 pm »
Steve,
Glad to hear apitherapy is helping your back. It never seemed to help me. It did help my hands though.

I had a two level spine fusion (L-4 to S-1) 18 months ago, age 37. 6 screws, 2 rods. If you are interested in how I fared, PM me.
Gail
No good deed goes unpunished.

Offline Angi_H

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2008, 02:12:24 am »
Geesh Brain you take it easy. How are them eggs doing? Should be hatching soon right? It has been cold here and pain levels have been high..

Angi
I wish I could afford the travel memory foam for my bed when I go some where. I need to make an appointment to see my dr and see if I could get some ambian. for sleep

Angi

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2008, 10:29:58 am »
Oh Angi, if I could I would buy you the moon.

Maybe one day you will be able to afford the memory foam, it is expensive.  But what about the lesser expensive foams that are available?  Could you afford one of them?  I think in our Zellers store they run about $20.00.  I bet if you looked around you could find one, they would be better than not having a foam, I feel for your pain.  Have a wonderful day.  Cindi

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2008, 11:31:17 am »
Oh Angi, if I could I would buy you the moon.

I saw something the other day that the price of an acre of land on the moon is only $35.00 Perhaps you could buy the moon. I didn't read the whole thing and so I do not know who you by the "moon" acreage from. Wonder how you lay claim to the moon. 
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2008, 08:17:58 pm »
Geesh Brain you take it easy. How are them eggs doing? Should be hatching soon right? It has been cold here and pain levels have been high..

When I had my sholder surgery I couldn't life my forearm higer than my waist and the upper arm just hung there.  Ain't surfery wonderful?  I stopped counting surgeries after 24 (I still have to do it for the doctors) and the various scars after 150.

Yeah the eggs should be hatching between now and Sunday, I just removed the automatic turner this afternoon--don't want to kill any hatchlings.

Angi
I wish I could afford the travel memory foam for my bed when I go some where. I need to make an appointment to see my dr and see if I could get some ambian. for sleep

Angi

I average a Dr.'s appointment a week.  Just part of my routine.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Hannah-Davida

• New Bee
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2008, 11:06:03 am »
O'kay folks, time to go to the library.
Two books I have found through our local branch are Bee Venom: exploring the Healing Power: age old remedies for arthritis, rheumatism and other ailmants by Mihily Simies. The other more practical book is Bee in Balance: a guide to healing the whole person with honeybees, oriental medicine and common sense by Amber Rose. Any other reading suggestions out there?
You can find further BVT information through Apitronics in Richmond BC. I don't have the contact info at hand, but you can "google" it.
Speaking of bee venom, has anyone tried it in salve or balm form? I make my own herbal concoctions for minor healing but would like to try adding bee venom to address the artritis is my hands. Stings are fine when the pain is really bad, but I'm thinking that a lotion or salve would be good for low grade pain days.
Great thread Steve!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2008, 11:16:49 am »
Hannah-Davida.  Cool, sounds like you have some great books.  Apitronics has all kinds of things for beekeepers.

About the venom in a lotion or balm.  I don't know about that.  You will have to really do some studying on it to find that out.  Maybe someone here knows and can fully answer your question.

But..the way that I understand how the venom works, this is in very simple layman's terms, nothing to back up what I say properly, just a little bit of what I know.

When a bee stings, the mind within the human body reacts and sends cortisol to the wound area.  The cortisol is what causes the reduction in pain and swelling, etc. of stuff like arthritis.   Kind of like a cortisone injection from the doctor.  That is why I am not sure if topical use of venom would help.  But, study, you will find out lots of good stuff, sounds like that is what is on your agenda anyways, so carry forth.  Have a fantastic day, Cindi

Offline Dick Allen

• House Bee
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2008, 02:48:05 pm »
Here’s some good information from the U.N. FAO publication ‘Value Added Products from Beekeeping’.

This takes you to the beginning of the book:

http://www.fao.org/docrep/w0076e/w0076e00.htm

This takes you directly to the chapter on venom:

http://www.fao.org/docrep/w0076e/w0076e18.htm#7.1

Offline Hannah-Davida

• New Bee
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2008, 08:18:53 pm »
"Value Added" is a terrific resource manual. Should be on everyone's bookshelf.
Now, how about some info on on how to build a venom collector? The prinicpal is straight forward enough, a low current, a piece of glass...but how does one put it all together? Apitronics markets them at considerable expense but it seems to me a little scrounging around, a screw driver and a free afternoon should be all one needs. Any ideas, or plans out there anyone aware of?
Looking forward to your ideas and suggestions!

anything