Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New type of wasp?  (Read 2465 times)

Offline TigerLily

• New Bee
New type of wasp?
« on: April 02, 2007, 12:24:36 pm »
Last summer, we found three dead queen wasps and many more live ones, which is unusual, because we have never seen them in the past summers. They were about an inch long, and it looks like they have two stingers. One "stinger" is about a centimeter long. Does anyone else have problems with these wasps? If they come back again this summer, will they affect my hive at all? I would post pictures, but not enough posts yet. :'(
"It is the melancholy face that gets stung by the bee”

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: New type of wasp?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 09:50:20 pm »
The "two stingers" are probably a stinger and an ovipositor.

Wasps have never bothered my hives much.  Hornets and yellow jackets are more likely to cause problems than wasps.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 11:53:12 pm »
I had red wasps and bald-faced hornets (I think that's what they were) last year.  The bees didn't let them in, however, and often did battle with them until death.

Here's the hornet:  http://beekeeperlinda.blogspot.com/2006/08/bugs-and-bees.html

And here's the wasp:

http://beekeeperlinda.blogspot.com/2006/11/unwelcome-guest.html

A strong hive usually takes care of unwanted visitors such as wasps, yellow jackets, carpenter bees.

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 10:59:56 am »
Linda, by the way, I love your site.  I love that you have taken so much time to do so much work on it and it astounds me.  Keep on truckin' girl.  Best of the grand day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything