Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from central Kentcuky  (Read 2230 times)

Offline keys861

• New Bee
Hello from central Kentcuky
« on: March 09, 2008, 02:44:52 pm »
Hi All,
  My name is Fred, I'm 46 and I am new to beekeeping. I have no experience whatsoever. I have been reading and talking with my County Extension Agent about bees. He is very encouraging and has enrolled me in a local beekeeping class.
I look forward to purchasing my first hives. I have ten acres that has been used as a pasture field in the past. I plan on sowing wildflowers and native grasses on this land and let it naturally regenerate itself.
My interest are woodworking, photography, gardening, fitness and of course bees.

I look forward to sharing ideas on this forum

-ff-

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
Re: Hello from central Kentcuky
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 04:39:45 pm »
Hi Fred
I am new also, my hive stuff is on the way & my bees come in April.  You will love this forum.  Everyone is so helpful & there are many ideas, ways of solving the same problems so you can pick whatever will work best given your situation.  I've had many answers to questions I hadn't thought of yet, helps you plan!  Have fun with your bees!

Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 01:39:12 am »
Fred, welcome to our forum, you have some interests that go hand in hand with beekeeping, flowers, photography....say no more.  You will find this a great place to learn, share your experiences, ask any question, you will see all questions get answers, and never think a question is dumb, because it is not.  Have a wonderful and beautiful day, love our life we live.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 08:12:14 am »
Welcome Fred!

Last summer I attended the Heartland Apicultural Society (HAS) meeting in Frankfort and was able to meet many wonderful Kentucky beekeepers.  In fact, I won a door prize, a hive assembled by the Blue Grass Beekeepers. I encourage you to get involved with a local bee club: find a few mentors and have fun hanging out with beeks.
http://www.kyagr.com/statevet/bees/association/index.htm

Offline keys861

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 03:02:54 pm »
Thanks for all the greetings. I think this is going to be a great little hobby that I hope develops into a fun little small business.

Indy, I was signed up for the state class but it was rescheduled due to the snow that we had this last weekend. I wasn't aware of the door prizes. Maybe I will get lucky.
Are you in Brown County, IN? What a beautiful spot...

Offline Brian Camp

• New Bee
    • My Myspace Page
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 03:26:16 pm »
Hey Fred! Good luck with your class! I will have to look around and see if we have anything like that here in CA!
Thanks!
Brian

anything