Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Constructive Criticism  (Read 6414 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Constructive Criticism
« on: June 30, 2010, 02:41:14 pm »
Looking for feed back on my videos I've been making. The good, the bad and the ugly. Let me have it!  :-D

I know there's so much more that can be done and a lot that I am ignorant to in the realm of video technology. Things like slow mo and play backs, music in the back ground...

This has been a lot of fun and I hope to bring you many more.

I appreciate any and all suggestions.

Thank you!

...JP

My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline skflyfish

• House Bee
Re: Constructive Criticism
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 02:54:57 pm »
JP,

I think you started with good quality videos and they have improved with each iteration.

The phasing in and out of scenes, that you did in the beginning, were not my preference, but you have since quit those.

I like the talking you do, the detail of your movements, and the angle that you use. I find them very informative, beside very enjoyable to watch. Music might be nice as long as they didn't overwrite your narration. You could do sped up motion, but usually there are good details in all your movements, that I learn from.

Your kind, gentle personality also makes the videos very enjoyable.

I do miss the red umbrella.

You are evolving and they are all good! Just don't quit ....... please.  :-D

Jay

Offline montauk170

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 03:01:15 pm »
Love the videos and very informative. Like others I've learned a lot from them.

Example of something that could be improved on that external hive cutout recently...
That one branch/leaves got in the way at first, then I saw you removed it or repositioned the camera.
Perhaps get that from the beginning.

Also, position the camera when you do ladder cutouts at an angle and higher maybe.
We love to see your rear end but... you get the idea.  :-D

Offline John Schwartz

• House Bee
    • The Bee Farm
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 03:01:33 pm »
JP -- From a Youtube marketing perspective, I'd be glad to help ya spruce up your Youtube group/user page at http://www.youtube.com/user/JPthebeeman. You could add custom background graphics, colors, etc.
―John Schwartz, theBee.Farm

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 03:03:46 pm »
JP I think you are doing a fine job. I like to hear you talk about what is going on and also what is going on in the background.

Just get you guest star to talk a little more, even if you have to flip a board covered in bees on him  :lau: :lau: :devilbanana:

Course it don't take much to entertain me, I'm just a simple hill billy.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 03:08:37 pm »
Jp, I think the videos are great. You describe what you are doing and how, you show how to work with the bees and not against them, the videos are clear, sound is good, and I have learned so much from them. I have a cut out I need to do but since Im not good with construction I told the guy he would need a contractor to help. The only thing I cant see how you do it is finding the queen in all that mess when doing a cut out. All in all I would give you 5 stars.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 03:27:04 pm »
Jay, thank you! I'm blushing over here on a rainy day (that's why I'm on the computer  :-D )

I'm glad you agree with my decision to 86 all the frame cropping stuff. I didn't care much for it myself.

What's really cool about making videos is the power of editing! While you're filming, if you mess up, you know you can just do it again.

Filming yourself I have to admit is quite strange at first. I am becoming more comfortable doing so.

The last video I made with Schawee is by far my personal favorite because it shows someone else besides myself.

You kinda get tired of looking at yourself as most people will tell you, so having someone else there with me is most welcomed and I have to say we had a blast.

...JP

My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 03:32:39 pm »
Can't comment too much other than the pics are clear and your work is precise. I don't hear, so I have no sound on my computer.

Since all comments so far have been positive, I will balance the scale with the first negative. I have noticed you have become more lax on your safety with the videos. None of us want to see you get hurt, so keep safety in mind. It is much more important than excitement on a video. We don't want to lose you.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 03:37:19 pm »
Thanks for the feed back, ha ha, the one's with my butt!  :-D Yes, sometimes its hard getting the camera just where you want it.

Those ones (the butt ones!  :lau: ) I had the camera on the tripod but I was between 18-22' up on those and I apologize that you had to see my rear on those. Will try to do better!  8-)

Lotsobees, I'm going to check out your site now. Thank you!

...JP

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 03:42:05 pm »
Thanks Iddee, I appreciate the feed back and I appreciate your concern for my well being. I will try to be more careful. You're mainly speaking of the scaffolding issues and height, correct?

...JP

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 03:56:04 pm »
No, I didn't want to say it on the open forum, but I think I see some "hamming it up", for the benefit of the camera, and that can be dangerous. It tells me that your mind is straying from the job itself, and the perils it entails, and onto the effects of the video instead.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline jgaito

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2010, 04:10:52 pm »
 i think the videos are great.   you make it look so easy and i struggle to understand how you have developed such a touch with the bees.   criticism ?  the occasional drop in audio.  not sure you could do anything short of adding an external mic.   i like the way you explain your thought process while you work.    oh yeah, on the last one you forgot the umbrella....
details, details, details...... :-D

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2010, 04:13:26 pm »
That's why I asked for clarification. I know I won't win any safety awards for my videos and there is always the possibility of getting stung.

This last hive was extremely non aggressive and I don't mean it as an excuse for dumping those bees on Schawee. It was an accident and even though he didn't take one sting from the mishap it was irresponsible of me to put him in that position.

I did apologize to him, his response of course on video was quite priceless, and is one of my favorite parts of the video.

Please feel free to elaborate online or off, its ok by me. I respect your opinion and consider you a friend.

...JP

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2010, 04:19:30 pm »
Thanks. You can rest assured it is meant that way, and the feeling is mutual. I have watched your movements through the stills and the videos, and just want to be sure there will be more for years to come. Safety is like smoking a hive.... A thousand successes will not overcome one failure.

Watch your step carefully, and continue on, soldier. You're doing fine.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2010, 04:30:22 pm »
i think the videos are great.   you make it look so easy and i struggle to understand how you have developed such a touch with the bees.   criticism ?  the occasional drop in audio.  not sure you could do anything short of adding an external mic.   i like the way you explain your thought process while you work.    oh yeah, on the last one you forgot the umbrella....
details, details, details...... :-D

I agree with you on the drop on audio. Something I need to pay attention to and sometimes I mumble (talk to myself)  :-D

Thing is, the camera I purchased, removed the external mic plug in on this year's model. The feed back I received about that move suggested I likely would never use an external mic.

Sometimes I wish I had one. Oh well.

...JP

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2010, 08:21:27 pm »
I really don't have anything negative at all for you Jp! I would have you think about your target audience a little maybe? I mean, since this is all for you tube right? There are lots of folks out there that might like a little more in-depth info...maybe point out some capped worker brood vs. drone brood, point out a few SHB etc. I think the length is about right though, short enough as not to be bored and long enough to be informative. All-in-all a fine job!

Scott

P.S. you could show your bee yard with the new bees once in a while too :-D
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2010, 09:00:37 pm »
JP are you paying attention?? I hear people asking for the red umbrella :roll: :roll:

I just love your videos and don't mind the butt ones. They just make me laugh.

Seriously though, I really love when you are explaining things in detail. Very precise and I find myself extremely absorbed when you are explaining things. I don't have to much criticism mostly because I find them to be just wonderful. Very clear, easy to understand what you are doing. I crack up laughing whenever you find the queen because I just cannot believe how you do this. I look forward to the next ones.

Annette

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2010, 10:09:16 pm »
Scott, my target audience, good question. Yep, I've thought about that and haven't quite come up with an absolute answer. This entire thing started off with something that I thought would be neat to do, just maybe some fun.

I figure most that would be watching would be bee keepers and those who do removals.

Annette, ahhhh the red umbrella.  :-D

...JP

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2010, 11:23:53 pm »
Well JP, thanks to you and your videos (and Irwin too) Peggy's bugging me to get a new video camera. I'm like...ugh shouldn't we buy a new stove or something first hon? :-D

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline pondman

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2010, 11:52:34 pm »
Jp
I have no criticism for you. I feel that you do a very great job at what you do. As i said many times I have learned so much from the video that you have shared with us. I got to know is there times that you wear a veil or is it just that the bees you have removed are nice bees. I have done some cutouts where I could have not wore it, But the there were time that I was glad that I had it on. I think that you must be like a snake charmer  :-D. Thinking about getting a video camera sometime soon. Keep up the great work an be safe.

Thanks Pondman

anything