Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Mann Lake Frames  (Read 7860 times)

Offline teezbees

• New Bee
    • Buzzed and Confused
Mann Lake Frames
« on: February 16, 2011, 07:13:52 pm »
Just a friendly word of advice. If you plan on cross wiring your frames, Mann Lake's frames do not have pre-bored holes in the end bars.

I'll be at my drill press this weekend addressing this issue on 225 frames.

Travis

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Mann Lake Frames
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 07:31:58 pm »
Not sure what size frames you are referring to, but I just got a shipment of deep frames from them and they had drilled side bars.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 07:41:09 pm »
you can get them either way. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline teezbees

• New Bee
    • Buzzed and Confused
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 09:09:39 pm »
To clarify, I ordered both deeps and mediums and placed the order online. There was no option to add holes in the end bars in the online ordering menu. The only options were the top and bottom bar configurations (grooved, wedge, etc.). I heard from others that if you call in your order, you can specify that they have the holes bored. However, their default configuration is no holes apparently. Not sure what they thought I was doing ordering 2 pounds of wire and 1,000 eyelets  ;)

I should have researched it before placing my order. It's been a while since I ordered frames, but I suppose with all the plastic foundation on the market, it makes sense that holes in the end bars don't have to be as common as before. If you order online and want them, make sure you ask for them specifically.

Travis

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 11:51:45 pm »
I ordered my online.   Did you order split or grooved top bars? Maybe it depends on the top bars you order. Perhaps they ship drilled with split top bars (used for foundation/wires) and undrilled with grooved top bars (used with plastic foundation/no wires)
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline teezbees

• New Bee
    • Buzzed and Confused
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 08:03:02 am »
Could be. I ordered grooved top and bottom bars. Of course, I ordered the wax along with it (wired w/o hooks)  :-D

I could always switch to Duragilt, but I've had issues with the bees chewing wax off the face of it in the past. Some frames they'd draw out beautifully, while others they'd chew down to the plastic and leave it bare. So I'm going with wired this year.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 09:27:39 am »
So I'm going with wired this year.

Good choice,  I'd do the same.   Spend the time drilling the end bars, you'll be pleased in the long run verses Duragilt.

I think we have all learned a lesson when ordering frames from Mann Lake.   I guess for once luck was on my side.

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
  • We survive together, or not at all!
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 08:17:37 am »
Mine, too, came without the holes.  I guess they thought the support pins I ordered along with the frames were just for show.  I will not be enjoying the hours of hole-drilling ahead of me.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 09:28:18 am »
Mine, too, came without the holes. 

grooved top bars?

Offline teezbees

• New Bee
    • Buzzed and Confused
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 10:19:48 am »
I guess they thought the support pins I ordered along with the frames were just for show.

I kind of felt the same way about the eyelets and 2 pounds of wire with my order. Have you used the support pins before? If so, what are our thoughts? I asked around and didn't get many endorsements from the folks I talked to. That's why I opted for the wire.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 11:17:25 am »
the simple solution is to not use foundation.  it saves so much time...not to mention money.  when i do have occasion to use foundation, i use the pins.  they are ok if the frames have a good chance of being drawn out quickly.  if not, the foundation, especially in a deep, tends to sag or warp.  if the foundation is good and tight into the top bar, it helps a lot.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 11:49:33 am »
Mine, too, came without the holes. 

grooved top bars?

Yes, grooved top bars.  I use wired foundation without the hooks.  Just pop it in and a couple of support pins and away I go.  That's what I use for my deep brood boxes.  I use duragilt in my shallow supers.

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 11:51:59 am »
I guess they thought the support pins I ordered along with the frames were just for show.

I kind of felt the same way about the eyelets and 2 pounds of wire with my order. Have you used the support pins before? If so, what are our thoughts? I asked around and didn't get many endorsements from the folks I talked to. That's why I opted for the wire.

I use the support pins in my deep brood chambers.  In the shallow supers I use duragilt.  Haven't had any problems, but I may just be lucky.

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2011, 11:57:27 am »
the simple solution is to not use foundation.  it saves so much time...not to mention money.  when i do have occasion to use foundation, i use the pins.  they are ok if the frames have a good chance of being drawn out quickly.  if not, the foundation, especially in a deep, tends to sag or warp.  if the foundation is good and tight into the top bar, it helps a lot.

Some of mine are foundationless, like when I snag the occasional swarm and have nothing prepared.  I've been lucky enough that they've always drawn nice straight comb, AND in the direction I've wanted it.  Yep, I have very considerate girls....

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 12:52:39 pm »
...i would call mann lake before going to the drill press.  when i've had ordering problems with their website in the past, one phone call was all that was required.

deknow

Offline teezbees

• New Bee
    • Buzzed and Confused
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2011, 03:10:35 pm »
I'm sure Mann Lake would swap me out, but I doubt they'd eat the shipping charges. I should have researched it better rather than assuming. What I'd spend on shipping would finance a 12 pack anyway. Plus, I gotta get busy on building.

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2011, 03:35:46 pm »
Well, I can't see any reason not to give them a chance to fix things.

deknow

Offline teezbees

• New Bee
    • Buzzed and Confused
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2011, 05:31:49 pm »
Please understand. I'm not beating up on Mann Lake. Just pointing out that they don't bore the end bars unless you ask for it. I'm sure they'd fix me up, but it's not worth it to me to incur the expense of sending them back and waiting for replacement ones. Further, I've got 7 nucs to get set up for and I need to get cracking on assembly.

I like Mann Lake's quality and service. My comments about wire and eyelets in the same order are made tongue in cheek. It's not for an order picker to second guess my order. I accept the blame for not asking for the end bar holes. It's been a long time since I ordered frames, but given the popularity of plastic foundation, I can see why the extra step of boring holes in the end bars would be less the norm nowadays.

Travis

Offline woodchopper

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2011, 10:05:03 pm »
Please understand. I'm not beating up on Mann Lake. Just pointing out that they don't bore the end bars unless you ask for it. I'm sure they'd fix me up, but it's not worth it to me to incur the expense of sending them back and waiting for replacement ones. Further, I've got 7 nucs to get set up for and I need to get cracking on assembly.

I like Mann Lake's quality and service. My comments about wire and eyelets in the same order are made tongue in cheek. It's not for an order picker to second guess my order. I accept the blame for not asking for the end bar holes. It's been a long time since I ordered frames, but given the popularity of plastic foundation, I can see why the extra step of boring holes in the end bars would be less the norm nowadays.

Travis
Unless you order from Mann-Lake all the time I can't see how you would have known you had to ask to have the end bars drilled. I've ordered a few thousand frames from Brushy, Dadant, and Betterbee and never had to ask any of them to drill holes. If you have to ask to have the holes done I'm surprised they didn't make you aware of that when you placed your order.
 I'm glad you have a drill press and can rectify this problem quickly without having to wait for them to correct it.  Too close to Spring.
Every man looks at his wood pile with a kind of affection- Thoreau

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2011, 08:44:28 am »
Please understand. I'm not beating up on Mann Lake.

I don't believe that to be the case.   It appears they don't provide drilled side bars if you order grooved top bar (assume you will use plastic foundation).   Just last week I got an order of split top bars and they had drilled side bars.   All accounts of non-drilled side bars seem to be with grooved top bars.

Sounds like they are just basing it on the norm.  If you go outside the norm, then you have to request what you want.