Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Feeding too much?  (Read 1867 times)

Offline patook

• House Bee
    • Brother Bee Apiary
Feeding too much?
« on: May 07, 2009, 03:28:54 am »
After working with my two problem hives, I decided to cheer myself up by checking in on the two good hives which are nucs I got  coming up on two weeks ago. Both have been taking the syrup with HBH but one faster then the other. I opened up the thirsty girls to see whats up.

What I found was allot of capped brood but very little larva.  In fact, the only larva was a a 2" patch in the middle of a frame otherwise filled with capped syrup. Most of the drawn comb was filled with syrup and allot capped brood. There is still 5 frames to be drawn out but it did not look like there was a allot of comb construction underway.

I have heard a hive could get honey bound, but is it normal when there is still comb to be drawn out?

I know that syrup promotes comb construction but should I stop feeding until this situation resolves itself?

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: Feeding too much?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 04:07:30 am »
What's the population of the hive like.  Bees will only build comb on frames they're standing on.  If all of the current frames are covered but no or very few bees on the other frames then the bees won't build more combs until the capped brood is hatched and the hive is forced out to occupy more frames, then they will drawn combs under foot, so to speak.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline patook

• House Bee
    • Brother Bee Apiary
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 05:24:48 am »
Thanks Brian, I will just practice my patience and continue to feed.

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 04:01:53 pm »
been my experience to feed eigther until they stop taking the feed or they have all the comb drawn out.  depending on the season it's hard to tell which will happen first.
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 04:49:21 pm »
if you have lots of bees, but not much space for brood, you can take outside frames and move them closer to the center.  don't break up the brood nest, and i usually don't put indrawn foundation on both sides of the brood nest.  you can put one frame right next to them, and one after the honey frame next to brood on the other side..  if you have to do it again, you can do the opposite next time.

in general, i try not to mess with what the bees are doing, but sometimes, they will do screwy things that are not going to fit into your plan.  this is one of those times when you'll have to follow your gut.  another one of those learning things  :-)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 09:02:56 pm »
In my experience, yes, you can feed them until they backfill the brood nest and swarm.  I don't recommend it.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfeeding.htm#when
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything