Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Weedeater  (Read 19178 times)

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
Weedeater
« on: June 06, 2010, 10:30:28 pm »
My weedeater died today at the age of 15 years :'( Repair cost more then it's worth :-x I been lookin on the net but I would like some input :? On the bright side This old lady said she would buy me one all I have do Is her lawn till I work it off 50x100 lot at 25 buck's a pop 1/2 hour time to do the job :-D I will be getting one soon I have a part two video that I need to make 8-) Thank's for all replies  8-)

:-D
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Weed eater
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 10:34:27 pm »
must have been a very good weed eater!  both mine are down and my little rototiller.  have been told it's the ethanol crap that kills them.  nothing to do by rebuild or by new.   :(
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
Re: Weed eater
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 12:12:37 am »
must have been a very good weed eater!  both mine are down and my little rototiller.  have been told it's the ethanol crap that kills them.  nothing to do by rebuild or by new.   :(
You got that one right flipn corn fuel better stop on that one before I
 get in trouble

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Weedeater
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 12:20:58 am »
should have read 'buy new'.

anyone else know anything about fuel fouling the tools, or is that just UL?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline jgaito

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 11:44:46 am »
during the past ten years this crap gas has cost me two carbs on my Mitsubishi generator.   aviation  and racing gas have no ethenol but cost way too much to use.  there are several posts on the web of people trying to remove or distill the alcohol from the gas but i've seen nothing reasonable.   adding water, agitating and allowing the fuel and water / ethenol mix to settle to the bottom is one way.   to add insult to injury, the fed is mandating higher ethenol levels down the road.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 12:08:18 pm »
Any body know about the ECHO brand they are the only one that has a 5 year warranty.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 12:17:45 pm »
Ethenol you can thank the tree hugger and the corn farmer's for that crap. The only way I like corn is on the cob or when it's made into a nice clear butt kickin beverage :-D

Offline jgaito

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 12:24:18 pm »
Any body know about the ECHO brand they are the only one that has a 5 year warranty.
very good.    so far my weedeater, blower, cultivator and chainsaw have had no negative response to the ethanol. could be due to the mixing of the fuel with oil.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 01:00:22 pm »
I think the newer ones have different stuff inside so they can handle the ethenol

Offline jgaito

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 01:28:26 pm »
I think the newer ones have different stuff inside so they can handle the ethenol
i talked to a Honda Power Equipment rep last year and he told me that Honda is becoming concerned about the damage to their four stroke carbs with the new blends coming down the pike.  my two Honda generators are doing fine at this point.   i'm going to start mixing two stroke oil for my four strokes at about 1/5 the two stroke ratio.  maybe it will help protect the carb's insides a bit.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 01:35:36 pm »
We can still buy ethenol free gas out here but it cost more. And never send some one to get it for you they forget it when their at the place and then get it at the gas station and don't tell you. That is what happend to me :-x

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 02:52:44 pm »
We can still buy ethenol free gas out here but it cost more. And never send some one to get it for you they forget it when their at the place and then get it at the gas station and don't tell you. That is what happend to me :-x

Just checked ethenol free priem 3.60 10%ethenol 2.97

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 04:03:10 pm »
Geez, talk about a mark up for the pure stuff.   This reminds me of years ago when they came out with the New Coke.   What did we try to pay for the real stuff?  One day we will try to teach our kids that gas came from oil back in the day.  (And it had lead in it too.)

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2010, 12:28:01 am »
Ive had a husqvarna for nearly 10 years now and always impressed with it every time it starts on the first pull. Ethanol killed my 4 wheeler for awhile until I ran a bottle of injector cleaner through it.  I think that any engine that isnt run on a daily basis does seem to have problems with the ethanol blends. If I were guessing, I would think that its the condensation from the alcohol.

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2010, 10:59:49 am »
Shindawa T270 last weedeater you will ever own. Just rip out the screen from the exhaust and it will run forever

Keith

Offline jgaito

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2010, 11:29:05 am »
Shindawa T270 last weedeater you will ever own. Just rip out the screen from the exhaust and it will run forever

Keith

no doubt about that.   i still see some T25's floating around.  a bit tough on the wallet though.  Shindaiwa is now owned and operated by Echo.  the trimmers are still of a Shindaiwa design but saws will be built by Echo.  not sure but probably the blowers as well.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2010, 12:42:10 pm »
The ECHO comes with a 5year customer warranty the Shindawa has a 2 year. My old weedeater was a shindawa it lasted 15 years of hard and I mean HARD work.

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2010, 02:14:51 pm »
The ECHO comes with a 5year customer warranty the Shindawa has a 2 year. My old weedeater was a shindawa it lasted 15 years of hard and I mean HARD work.

Then to me it seems the warranties don't really matter

Keith

Offline bull

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2010, 06:13:51 pm »
i have a husky and its good ,but i grabe my shindawa combo weed eater and pole saw. with the feed through head its worth it 40 pluse feet of line. i know its pricy but it realy work .

Offline marksmith

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2010, 06:45:28 pm »
Pure-gas.org will give state by state locations of known ethanol free gasoline.

I have run only petrol through my saws/weedeaters/boat for 4 years now. The fuel stays 'fresh' for 5 months in a can (probably longer but I finally used all of it) and my saws like it.  IMHO Ethanol is the product of good lobbyists.  We are SUBSIDIZING corn to keep the price up, and the HFCS and ethanol derived from our SUBSIDIZED corn is used because its cheap.  I say pull the subsidies and see where the cards truly lay.  Its bad enough that the greenies are forcing the 10% as it is (another 'subsidy' IMHO)  I bet if you come to brass tacks, the ethanol costs more per gallon to make then sell.

Funny thing... If I run clear premium, my mileage increases to the point that its $.02 per mile CHEAPER to run the clear fuel.  This is looking at 1500 mile average.
Mark Smith - Elkton, OR

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2010, 08:47:12 pm »
Well, I just went to pure gas and looked, I would have to do a 100 mile drive to get some.  I guess the smog gas they sell in the metro area all has corn in it.

Offline jgaito

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2010, 09:00:37 am »
Well, I just went to pure gas and looked, I would have to do a 100 mile drive to get some.  I guess the smog gas they sell in the metro area all has corn in it.
same here.  this is what happens when our lawmakers don't live in the real world.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2010, 09:13:57 am »
I have a new straight shaft that will also handle a saw blade.  It will take trees and branches up to 3 inchs

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2010, 09:21:19 am »
I have a new straight shaft that will also handle a saw blade.  It will take trees and branches up to 3 inchs
What brand is it.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2010, 10:44:15 am »
What brand is it.
STIHL   One thing I should add is to screen the cooling vents with #8 wire.  If you dont they will plug with bee's and burn up

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2010, 10:16:06 am »
I got a blade that I sharpen with a chainsaw file. It will cut down some big stuff. Don't know if it will work on my new weedeater when I get it. I'm really giving the ECHO a hard look because of the 5 year warranty. I'm going to try one out today.

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2010, 02:24:53 pm »
I like the brand echo, chain saws and weed eaters have worked well for me, I also like husqvarna and stihl. 

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2010, 04:42:11 pm »
my last straight shaft was a husqvarna.   Still have it but it is getting tired.  I really liked the harness that came with it and it had a lot of power. 

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2010, 06:44:33 pm »
If you leave gas in it during off season, start it up at least a week. Otherwise drain the tank.

Got tired of buying a new feather light every other year so I get's me a pollen pro with  extra attachable
component capabilities, with shoulder strap. It came with the weed head and the brush cutter head. $112.00.  :)doak

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2010, 01:37:46 am »
i talked to a Honda Power Equipment rep last year and he told me that Honda is becoming concerned about the damage to their four stroke carbs with the new blends coming down the pike.  my two Honda generators are doing fine at this point.   i'm going to start mixing two stroke oil for my four strokes at about 1/5 the two stroke ratio.  maybe it will help protect the carb's insides a bit.

My echo dealer says to use fuel stabilizer with your ethanol gas.  Not using it will require a carburator rebuild every spring unless used/ran at least weekly during the winter.
$10.00 buys enough stabilizer to treat 20 gallons. There is stabalizers for both 2 (mixed gas) and 4 stroke engines.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2010, 09:27:26 am »
I ran an ECHO SRM-225 for an hour and  a half the other day 45 minutes with the string head and the same with the brush blade. only used about half tank of gas. The thing did a great job the only thing I don't like is the string head it's the type you tap it on the ground and the string comes out. I think it uses to much string that way. I looked at the Operator's manual the guy had and it said You can run the 10% ethanol and it would not mess with the warranty. I have 2 place's in town here where I can get the real stuff so I will run it. Called the ECHO dealer talked to him and he told me they were on sale so I go a step further and said if you really want to make the sale toss in a hat and it's a deal BAM I got a hat. So I had to jump in the pickup run down and pick it up.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2010, 01:30:37 pm »
Running a product like Sea Foam in the gas for your power tools keeps that gunk from building up.It also helps preserve the fuel during the off season.
make sure any container for fuel is sealed as alcohol is like a sponge for drawing moisture from the air.
Dirty secret of alcohol fuel:
it takes  about twice the alcohol as gasoline to make the same BTU's. Hence,lower fuel mileage when they are all screaming for increased mileage.
As for weed eaters,stihls,homelites, are both good products. i would see what most pro lawncare business use locally.

Offline Titus

• House Bee
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2010, 11:48:05 am »
I have RedMax and Echo trimmers.  Both are nice, the RedMax starts up first pull which is nice.  My next trimmer will be another RedMax!

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2010, 12:21:48 pm »
This is what I use http://www.jegs.com/p/United-Marketing/Sta-Bil-Fuel-Stabilizer/943350/10002/-1
So far the ECHO weedeater is doing a great job all the power I need plus more.

Offline irerob

• House Bee
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2010, 10:49:09 pm »
  I second what Brian said Run it weekly or better or treat with Stabil or some thing similar. I do both, stagnant fuel will turn to varnish that eats gasket fuel pumps like in a 2cycle motor and ruins the gasket surfaces ( needle valve) in carburetors and even some times intake valves if theres some blow by and the motor stops when the intake is open. Another way is to drain  the fuel tank then start and run the engine till it runs out of gas. but that can be a lot of work if you have a lot of equipment you use on a regular basis.
You don't need a parachute to sky dive.... you do how ever need one to sky dive twice.
 KJ4QMH.

Offline rgy

• House Bee
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2010, 11:08:42 am »
most marina's are going to ethenol free fuel because of the fiberglass tanks in a lot of older boats so there is a supplier for you.  As for weedeaters and saws I have always liked Stihl's.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2010, 12:33:55 pm »
most marina's are going to ethenol free fuel because of the fiberglass tanks in a lot of older boats so there is a supplier for you.  As for weedeaters and saws I have always liked Stihl's.
Got a marina about two block's away they sell mixed and straight ethanol free gas. It's 3.90 a gallon now

Offline jgaito

• House Bee
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2010, 01:28:51 pm »

My echo dealer says to use fuel stabilizer with your ethanol gas.  Not using it will require a carburator rebuild every spring unless used/ran at least weekly during the winter.
$10.00 buys enough stabilizer to treat 20 gallons. There is stabalizers for both 2 (mixed gas) and 4 stroke engines.

that's the problem. i have been using Stabil for years but the new gas is crap.  i'm moving to Stabil marine formula and SeaFoam.
i know for a fact that aluminum hates ethanol.  some guys running alky at the track actually had two fuel systems so they could run gasoline through the engine before parking it.  the price of non ethanol marine fuel looks good for the smaller two cycle stuff but may be cost prohibitive for generator fuel since i store about sixty gallons.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2010, 12:52:08 pm »
Ethenol you can thank the tree hugger and the corn farmer's for that crap.

Well which is it? :?  You have picked two opposing groups.  Ethanol is not only more expensive to produce it takes more energy to make it than it does to produce.  Monsanto on the other hand stands to gain billions.  It is so easy for them because we are so stupid.

For older gas powered equipment (prior to ethanol) the plastics and o-rings will swell in its presents and stop the carb from working properly.  You can replace the new carb today (they have made changes) for around $50 or you can get a kit to replace the plastic parts for around $12.  Depending on what it is and your skill level buying new may be a better option.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2010, 01:42:11 pm »
boy, wish i'd known some of this stuff earlier.  i don't have a single gas thing that's working anymore.  this ethanol crap is the dumbest idea ever.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2010, 05:34:07 pm »

Well which is it? :?  You have picked two opposing groups.  Ethanol is not only more expensive to produce it takes more energy to make it than it does to produce.  Monsanto on the other hand stands to gain billions.  It is so easy for them because we are so stupid.

For older gas powered equipment (prior to ethanol) the plastics and o-rings will swell in its presents and stop the carb from working properly.  You can replace the new carb today (they have made changes) for around $50 or you can get a kit to replace the plastic parts for around $12.  Depending on what it is and your skill level buying new may be a better option.
I don't under stand people like you your always wanting to argue about some thing. I have not read any of your post where your not pissing about some thing. Get a life!

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2010, 06:13:37 pm »

I don't under stand people like you your always wanting to argue about some thing. I have not read any of your post where your not pissing about some thing. Get a life!

LOL

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2010, 08:08:57 pm »
 :-D

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2010, 08:22:06 pm »