Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Goshawk YIKES  (Read 2394 times)

Offline danno

• Super Bee
Goshawk YIKES
« on: July 25, 2008, 10:00:13 am »
Yesterday as I got home from work I witnessed redwing blackbirds chasing a large Goshawk away from my barn.  I couldn't see a single chicken anywhere.  I found them hiding in the toolshed, under the tractor and in the barn.  I could find any sign that she killed one and theres to many to count.  I'm just hoping that the redwings harasted her enough that she is gone.  We have many raptors on the farm, redtails, coopers and sharpies and I dont worry about these but a Gos is differant.  For those of you that dont know what a Gos is, its the  Maserati of hawks.  Big, very fast and stealthy

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
Re: Goshawk YIKES
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 09:13:02 pm »
At least your chooks hid from it.  I had to cover the top of my hen pen because they didn't even try to hide from the golden eagles that were nesting in my neighbor's tree a couple years ago.  Fortuneately for me, they were more interrested in the mice out in the field behind me than my chooks. 

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: Goshawk YIKES
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 12:18:34 am »
The Tom turkey has taken to standing atop the chicken house to keep the birds of prey away.  Found him sleeping on the job--standing at the edge of the roof with his head tucked underneath his wing. 
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything