Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My Blooms (post pics)  (Read 49961 times)

Offline pollenchucker

• House Bee
  • 42 days and their wings fall off, eh?
Re: My Blooms (post pics)
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2009, 06:59:01 pm »
This is a very cool thread.  It would be especially useful if folks could add the benefits of a plant's nectar toward honey consumption.
BTW I have walked through stinging nettle many times and I don't believe it was ever as prolific as that Goatsbeard.  The stinging nettle was much more covert. :)
I'm looking forward to spring when folks can start documenting their favorite plants again.
Cheers
-pc

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2009, 07:42:37 pm »
Chinese tallow makes a nice amber honey

Some kind of privet I suppose, don't laugh, I really need to beef up on my plant ID

Not sure what kinda plant this is but when you walk by it, you get wet

...JP ;)

My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2009, 09:59:38 am »
JP, I've heard that privet will make a very dark, funky smelling honey, you definitely want it to mix in with other honey to mellow it.  Did you know privet is related to lilac, and they're both a member of the olive family?  I love the relationships between such dissimilar plants - but if you look closely at the flowers of both you'll see how similar they really are!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2009, 11:59:08 am »
JP, I've heard that privet will make a very dark, funky smelling honey, you definitely want it to mix in with other honey to mellow it.  Did you know privet is related to lilac, and they're both a member of the olive family?  I love the relationships between such dissimilar plants - but if you look closely at the flowers of both you'll see how similar they really are!

That's pretty cool, didn't know that. Now that I have your attention Ann, I was hoping you might be able to id this one

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2009, 03:28:21 pm »
My first thought was Chioanthus virginicus, known as the Fringe Tree, but I don't know if it grows as far south as you are, plus the blossoms don't look 'fringey' enough.  I did find this paper that says its native range is down through Florida, so it may be it.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2009, 03:37:55 pm »
Here's another pic, as you can see its a rather large tree

...JP

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2009, 07:44:28 pm »
That looks as though it's too large to be a fringe tree.  Not being familiar with your area, I'm sorry, I don't think I can ID it.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2009, 07:54:41 pm »
That's ok Ann, thanks for your time. I will let you know once I id the tree. Will have to bring some leaves and buds to the plant nursery. Thing is the people on the street have no idea what it is either.

...JP

Offline greg spike

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2009, 11:26:32 am »
Not 100% but looks like a "golden rain tree", not sure if thats the real name. Invasive to Florida, from the orient supposedly, and a good honey producer.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2009, 11:34:30 am »
Not 100% but looks like a "golden rain tree", not sure if thats the real name. Invasive to Florida, from the orient supposedly, and a good honey producer.

Really, I was told it was a rat terrier, hmmm. ;)

Seriously though, I looked up golden rain tree and the leaves look differently. Thanks for the suggestion though.

...JP

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2009, 11:58:37 am »
Jp I think it is a type of ash. My father has the same tree in his backyard. Give me a few I will get the ID

Keith

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
Forsythia ---Yellow Bell
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2009, 11:15:44 am »
Forsythia

I have always heard them called---- Yellow Bell
John 3:16

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
Red Maple
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2009, 11:21:57 am »
Red Maple --

Our first pollen source in my area:

Pictures were taken late in the evening a little hazy --- they are a little dull. Been blooming for at least four weeks or so. They are beginning to turn brown. A fiery red when they first bloom.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
Bradford Pear
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2009, 11:26:05 am »
Most everyone is familiar with the Bradford Pear. Wanted to plant a few but they are overused in my area. I see alot of wasp type insects on them but usually not many honeybees.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
Wild Plums
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2009, 11:29:47 am »
Wild Plums ---- we always called them Hog Plums --- eat them as a kid, but usally only good enough for the hogs. Therefore Hog Plums  :-D!
An early source for the bees in my area.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
Redbud Tree
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2009, 11:33:12 am »
Redbud Tree commonly called Judas Tree by the Old Timers.
An early source for the bees in my neck of the woods.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
Peaches
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2009, 11:44:24 am »
South Carolina Peaches --- different varieties will bloom form now thru most of the summer. Peaches were once a big farm crop in this area but as with most of Ag in my area has fallen by the wayside. The area used to be full of packing sheds but I think only two operate now. They do pack a few for some smaller farmers.

Well they are not a source for the bees and are wind pollinated and I think self pollinated. Anyway they don't need bees. Bees near peach farmers in the past have been @ risk due to pesticide. At one time I belive Pen-cap was widely used.

I have seen some folks advertise Peach Blossom Honey  :? We don't have anything in my area you can separate the bloom and call it a certain source. Everything in my area and most of the state is called wild flower. In the upstate they do have sourwood.

If peaches are a source and I am way off base PLEASE let me know!!! As you see I have plenty in the area.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2009, 11:54:28 am »
Wow, love all the photos but especially the peaches, lots and lots of peach trees.

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2009, 12:39:18 pm »
I love the pics of trees. Nothing is blooming in my area yet, we are still getting some snow in my neck of the woods.
I just planted a bradford pear tree last year, I love the shape of those and I love any tree that flowers.
I also planted a kwazain cherry tree a few years ago and a pink dogwood.
I can't wait until those mature.
The guy across the street had 2 beautiful flowering cherry trees that were just perfect and one day I woke up to them cutting them down.
Honestly if I had caught them in time I would have asked them if I could dig them up and take them.
There was nothing wrong with them but they wanted to have the yard opened up.
I loved those trees so much that I had bought my kwazain for that reason, only mine was still a sapling and it was expensive. Man, I would have loved to get those trees, I enjoyed having a nice view of them from my living room windows.
Anyway, love the pictures of the trees you are posting and I look forward to when mine finally bloom.

Offline vermmy35

• Field Bee
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2009, 11:26:01 am »
Nice pix's everyone nothing blooms in my area for another 4 to 6 weeks so I can only enjoy the work of others.
Semper Fi to all my brothers out there
http://gettingbacktocountryliving.blogspot.com/