Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Overbay Cutout  (Read 3403 times)

Offline jmblakeney

• House Bee
  • James
Overbay Cutout
« on: May 05, 2012, 09:04:12 am »
These bees had been spray with about 5 cans of HotShot.   :thunder:  This was a very hard one to do b/c of the location of the hive and the design of the roof.  They were just out of arms reach. 

You could really tell they had been poisoned by the way they were acting.  Poor girls.  When they were on the comb they seemed ok.  But when we were getting to the end of the cutout, they sure acted like they were on there last leg.  Hope they make it......

So everyone knows I had to wear a jacket b/c I am in a wedding today and didn't want to go with a swollen eye :-D 

Enjoy the vid...
Overbay Cutout
James

"I believe the best social program is a job...." - Ronald Reagan

Offline yockey5

• Field Bee
Re: Overbay Cutout
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 12:03:46 pm »
NHice video. I sure hope the bees survive.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 03:14:37 pm »
Could you tell if any of the spray got the the comb, or just soaked the entrance and the insulation?   

Offline blanc

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 04:31:43 pm »
Ya James after seeing JP's video of bees poisoned and the thousands dead it's sure said when they think their saving money by do it yourself method. Oh by the way you don't have to make excuses about the hood on because I don't like a swole eye period and ussualy wear mine. Always seems like one or two keep coming at me no matter what.  ;)
Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Offline jmblakeney

• House Bee
  • James
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 10:21:00 pm »
Could you tell if any of the spray got the the comb, or just soaked the entrance and the insulation?   

I really couldn't tell.  It was all brand new comb.  The insulation was all around the entrance and it was completely drenched in the chemicals.  They were continuosly walking through it and most likely transfering in to the combs.

This was a very hard cutout do to the position of the hive up and under that steep part of the roof.  Glad its over. 
These bees are now about the size of of a small swarm.  We'll see if they make it or not. :?

James

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 10:37:46 pm »
Thanks for the video. I hope you charged triple for removing sprayed bees.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline ME Girl

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 05:53:51 pm »
Poor things! :(  Yay you for trying to save them!  :-D I hope they make it.  It always makes me so mad when I see something like that.  I'll never forget the picture I saw of a a beautiful small colony some one Raided because it was under the gas grill.  It had beautiful white comb and a pile of dead bees underneath.  We are trying to get our name out here to give people another choice.  SAVE THE BEES! 

Shannon

By the way, thanks for the video!  Always enjoy them!
Life is too short not to stop and watch the bees.

Offline simmonds

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 06:15:05 pm »
Thanks for the video James!  Great job too!

Offline jmblakeney

• House Bee
  • James
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 12:00:00 am »
I hope you charged triple for removing sprayed bees.

I went and looked at the situation two days prior to removing them and couldn't tell that they had been sprayed.  I then gave him a quote and after talking for about 10-15 more min, just before leaving he mentioned that they had been sprayed.  I told him that I was glad that he told me that but know the price is doubled.  He couldn't believe it.  He and his wife just couldn't understand that.  They said they may just have to find someone else to remove them.  I said that was fine but to make sure and tell them that chemicals had been used to "try" to kill them when talking to other beekeepers.  He then said well since you've already looked at them and can get to them in a couple of days just go ahead and do it we need them out of there asap. 

I later found out he is a PA and his wife is a CRNA.... they were building a brand new home....I don't think the removal fee was an issue.

Thanks for the nice comments. 

James

Offline yockey5

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 12:45:01 pm »
Has the colony survived?

Offline jmblakeney

• House Bee
  • James