Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: An ethical question  (Read 10801 times)

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: An ethical question
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2011, 10:25:40 pm »
I don't care who you are, how long you've been keeping bees, commercial or hobbyist, gay or straight (nothin' wrong with that eh Mike :-D) you will eventually have a hive swarm. Yes, swarm prevention works well but is not 100%.

The question here is about retrieving swarms from another beekeeper and I say asking first is the ethical way...maybe over a bottle of beer. It's just a matter of respect.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Countryboy

• House Bee
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2011, 10:38:44 pm »
He knows how to manage bees and he is very helpful to others so if you are implying that he is a lazy beek and doesnt take care of his hives i dont think you know him too well

I know what he has said about himself.  I have no need to imply that he is a lazy beekeeper - he has done a fine job of doing that himself.

I don't care who you are, how long you've been keeping bees, commercial or hobbyist, gay or straight (nothin' wrong with that eh Mike grin) you will eventually have a hive swarm.  Yes, swarm prevention works well but is not 100%.

That's very true.  Despite your best efforts to control swarming, there will be a small percentage that still swarms.  I don't know any competent beekeepers who rely on that small percentage of swarms to help maintain their hive numbers.  I don't know any competent beekeepers who would want to bother chasing that small percent that swarm.  Now that I think about it, I don't know any competent beekeepers who would not think someone was doing them a favor by catching swarms from that small percentage, rather than having someone call them and expect them to do something about the swarm.

I also don't know any competent beekeepers who don't have time to properly manage their hives, but have the time to chase swarms from those improperly managed hives.  I do know competent beekeepers who hire people to help them, because paying someone to help is cheaper than losing swarms and losing the honey crop.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2011, 07:29:09 am »
This would be a good time for everyone to read rule #2 Here:

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,19652.0.html

If you don't understand it the first time,reread it!!
 There have been a few pushing the limits on this rule. Be forewarned,membership is a privilege here,not a right.
 Some comments of late have been turning members off here as of late.
 If it applies to you,take notice!!

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,19652.0.html

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2011, 04:06:52 pm »
BTW, it is nonchalant, and not non shellant.

If you are going to make fun of my spelling and word choice you will have a full time job.  Most people can understand my wrong word choices like you did.  So it doesn't phase me if you should point that out.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2011, 08:26:01 pm »

scott, i shore am not competent, but love chasing swarms, and do depend on them to ofset my losses. shore hope my spelling doesnt ofend too much fo some of you eng. profs.
to bee or not to bee

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2011, 12:48:29 pm »
Sorry I have not posted for awhile.

Saturday, I spent the day in Chester County at a bee conference.

Sunday I spent the day working on the PennApic Environment Action Committee agenda combined with a 4 hour meeting.

Monday, I spent the bulk of the day preparing and visiting the Governor's Mansion in Harrisburg, where PennApic will be installing a full working apiary, so all visiting dignitaries and visitors to the Governors residence will be exposed to bees.

Yesterday, I had way too much to do, and then swimming classes last night, letters to write to sponsors of national honey Bee Day, etc.

I wanted to check my bees. I really did. I guess if they swarmed over the past few days, I'll just be called lazy and a bad beekeeper. I didn't get any phone calls, so I think I'm safe for now.

Boy...I only wish I had time to visit every hive more often.  :-D

Thank you to all the beekeepers who seem to live in the same busy world as me, and were supportive. Busy just like me, with little many things going on. But not too busy to make that farmer happy by responding to a call, so the bees do not go in the neighbors barn. I might not stop all swarms, but I will respond to my property owners to keep them happy.

;)

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2011, 07:41:59 pm »
Hey lazyboy,
fill us in in another thread on the apiary at the governors mansion.
Will Mr.Corbett visit the apiary at all? :)

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2011, 01:09:13 am »
If a swarm is located sufficiently close to a bee yard to assume that is where they come from, the the beekeeper who maintains that yard should be contacted.  If they are in an area where they could be from several bee yards then I think they'd be fair game.  Most people who call about swarms are not aware of who keeps bees in their area unless they are readily visible from the road or sidewalk.  I've been keeping bees for over 50 years, I have a good idea of what I'm doing.

As for animals being out, I recently filed a nuance report because somebody has been opening the gate trying to let my sheep roam free.  I have 5 ft fences, all built within the last 3 years, so they're not going to break down unless assisted.
It's still winter, the grass is short, and it hasn't started to grow yet.  I feed my sheep the best quality of hay I can find, I also feed them grain both daily, as it's the tail end of lambing season.  Long wool after a hard winter looks ratty, but with the end of lambing comes shearing and doctoring time.
PETA freaks and the like have filed reports that my animals are well treated.  It forced me to counter file a report and take the animal control officer on a tour of my facilities.

With the rise in the price of gas, and the twitter world rabid with twits of "steal the gas don't by it"  I have lost 3 tanks of gas and resorted to locking gas caps.

My bees are visible from the road, my animals are well cared for and well treated and my neighbors love to bring their kids by to see the animals.  I expect a call if someone sees a swarm within a 1/2 mile of me and if and when my animals are out.  I do the same for their animals etc in return, it is called being neighborly. As for the people whose ignorance of animal behavior prompts them to endanger animals by letting them roam free or those people who think they have a right to my gas...well I hope they've been inoculated against lead posoning.

Countryboy, is that plain enough or do you want t to nit-pick my post?
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!