Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queen cells, what should we do?  (Read 2708 times)

Offline Violales

• New Bee
Queen cells, what should we do?
« on: May 03, 2012, 01:01:25 am »
Last summer we started our 1st hive. They made it through a terrible winter (129mph wind storms that caused horrible damage, many subzero nights)! Now we have discovered what we think looks like queen cells. Should we go with the flow and let them swarm or should we try to intervene? As far as we know, there are no honeybees in the area. We are very close to a ski area over 8500 ft in elevation and pretty isolated. Was thinking of getting another hive this summer too, but not sure if we should split the hive, try to capture the swarm, or just let it go. I'm concerned about genetic diversity as there are no other bees in sight for at least 25 miles in any direction. Any thoughts? We have another empty top bar waiting, but I'm not sure if we should buy more bees or try to split out existing with the likelyhood of no new mating drones around. Would love to hear suggestions!

Thanks!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Queen cells, what should we do?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 05:32:46 am »
I would never "let them swarm"  I would always "try to intervene".  If you let them swarm you lose half you bees and they may or may not survive.  They have a better chance where you can feed them if they are low.  Besides in the long run you need to make up winter losses from time to time.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesswarmcontrol.htm
http://www.bushfarms.com/beessplits.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Violales

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 11:15:03 pm »
Thanks Michael. I've set up bait hives, but have read they are only slightly effective. What intervention would you do in my case? I'm so new to this my only knowledge is from a few books. I need hands one training still...

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 04:08:51 am »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything