Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Gonna try again!  (Read 2547 times)

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
Gonna try again!
« on: August 15, 2010, 07:52:48 pm »
My nuc finally has a laying queen! Now I can cut the combs to fit my TBH cutout frames and put them into their new home. To prevent this one from absconding, I plan on putting the queen into a queen catcher (hairclip style) for a couple days, and putting a feeder jar of syrup in the TBH on the other side of the follower board (I drilled a couple of holes near the bottom for access). Think this will work?
Thanks,
Alan

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Gonna try again!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 01:03:57 am »
After all this time and work, maybe you should let them get settled in first?  Kind of traumatic to do a cutout and without brood them are much more likely to abscond than if you let them get some brood going first.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 11:22:57 am »
It is getting a little late in the year, ain't it?  They are going to work real at it to build enough comb before winter.

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 08:01:44 am »
Change of plans! I'm going to put the nuc into a standard hive. That way I don't need to cut the comb and stress them out. I am going to check on a possible honeybee hive behind the sidewall of a swimming pool today. If they are honeys, I will put them into the TBH. Of course, both will get fed to help build up stores for winter.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 08:10:13 am »
Sounds like a good plan for this time of year.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin