Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from Michigan!  (Read 1870 times)

Offline patriotgirlie

• New Bee
Hello from Michigan!
« on: February 17, 2013, 11:21:40 am »
Hello everyone.  I've been reading so many beekeeping websites and articles, that I'm not exactly sure which one pointed me in the direction of this forum, but I'm really glad it did!  I'm excited to get any info or advice that I can, and I plan to start a hive for the first time ever, this spring.  YAY  :laugh:

Moots

Re: Hello from Michigan!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 11:37:16 am »
Welcome to the forum, glad you found it....I know as a new Beek it's been a great resource.  :)

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 01:01:49 pm »
Welcome!

I know how you feel.  I am waiting on my first hives to arrive at the end of the month. Then my bees will arrive in April.  Can't wait.

I am told you should start with at least 2 hives so you can compare one to the other.

I am starting with 3.  Two nucs from one beek and one from another.  I am doing all small cell and only medium supers for the whole hive.

I have also ordered additional hives in hopes of getting a wild swarm and will need a hive to put it in.

Best of luck and let me know how it goes if you don't mind.  :)
"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 01:42:45 pm »
Welcome.  The excitement of getting your first bees is indeed memorable.  I collected a swam in the early sixties.  I did everything wrong, didn't get the queen and hived them in an old discarded cabinent.  I was 12 but I remember it very clearly.  I got the full buzz of ordering bees and equipment and making plans a dozen years later.  Good stuff to remember and I envy you the adventure!

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 03:20:01 pm »
Where in Michigan are you.   Spring will be here well not soon enough as far as I'm concerned but soon.   Do you have your woodware built and bee's ordered

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 09:03:37 pm »
Welcome to the forum, Patriotgirlie.  I don't remember how I first got here but I come back nearly ever day.  Beek is a lot of fun and wait until you get your first honey.  Good luck.

Joe

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 08:48:31 am »
Welcome to the forum girlie, please add your town name so we know where your at.
It will help us to offer advice geared more for your location. Keepers close by, deals on bees and equipment. etc.