Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What's the best bee deterrent  (Read 19765 times)

Offline D Semple

• Field Bee
What's the best bee deterrent
« on: May 08, 2012, 12:32:39 pm »
Had a new swarm move into the same exact location I finished a cutout on 3 weeks ago, now I've got to remove these new bees on my nickle. Thought I had sealed it up tighter than a drum.

What's the best means to keep bees out of an old nest area?

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
  • Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
    • Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
Re: What's the best bee deterrent
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 01:49:49 pm »
Stuff the cavity full of fiberglass insulation. If and only if I can close the opening, I don't do the repairs, or if I came in through the interior I fill all the gaps with Cobra ridge vent material and caulk the heck out of it both inside and out. Silicone caulk is better than latex for being chew resistant, they will chew.
http://www.gaf.com/roofing/residential/Products/Roof-Vents/Cobra-Exhaust-Vent/Cobra-Exhaust-Vent.aspx
I also use the todol foam when I cannot get to the gaps any other way. the todol needs to be completely on the interior as anything exposed to UV will eventually deteriate. If it is exposed cover it with caulk after it has cured or paint it with latex.
http://www.todol.com/
I haven't tried it enough but this year I am saturating the cavities with bee quick as well. Not sure if it helps since I rarely have a reentry.

BTW, I only warranty what I can seal and then only the exact area sealed for 90 days. If they want a longer or whole house warranty that is a completely seperate job and quote.
Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 09:47:40 pm »
Fischer's bee quick runs them out for sure.   Smell should stay in there for a little while, but I don't know just how long.   

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 10:04:09 pm »
Bees can not stand Vicks vapor rub. Try putting that in the cavity in something to slow down the vaporizing like a plastic bag.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 10:50:51 pm »
I've heard about Vicks and I'm going to try that on my next removal.  Fischer's Bee Quick works great in preventing the bees from going back in after you've taken out all the comb. It gives you a chance to fill in with insulation without trapping bees inside it.  I learned that from watching a You Tube of JP doing it.  Great idea.

In my contract, I specifically state that I do not guarantee that bees will not re-colonize the same area or an area in the same dwelling or anywhere else on the property.  I explain that I'll do everything I can to neutralized the nest scent - but the owner takes responsibility for sealing the area and doing all repairs.  I'll stuff in some insulation for them but the rest is up to them.

I'm going back to a property I pulled a colony out of last season because the bees settled into another area in the exterior wall.  I'm doing it for nothing this time because I got a pretty good price the first time - and the farmer was a real gentleman. He actually included a bonus the first time. I just feel it's the right thing for me to do.
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Offline jredburn

• House Bee
    • Poorboybees
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 11:36:10 pm »
Try dish soap and water  in a spray bottle.
Joe

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 11:48:01 pm »
Caulk & seal & jam pack the void space with fiberglass insulation. Use stuff it or steel wool as a backing for gaps larger than 3/8 of an inch. They are attracted to the scent where a prior colony was located, mainly propolis. They are the only insects on earth that I know of that make propolis. Sprays & scents are only temporary at best. Bee quick will keep them out for about a day to a day & 1/2 at most.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 12:53:02 am »
Maybe you could find a way to liquefy some Vicks for a spray bottle. Suppose to work on toenail fungus too.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 01:20:05 am by tefer2 »

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 01:16:52 am »
The Bee Go is to keep the female cutout video groupies at bay :)

deknow

Offline D Semple

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 09:39:01 am »
I will add stuffing fiberglass insulation and steel wool to my routine.

Thanks for the tips.

Anybody ever tried a box of moth balls?

Don

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 10:34:59 am »
I think moth balls would just stink up a house.

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 11:24:40 am »
Mothballs are napthalene, look up the msds on napthalene. Napthalene is a heavier than air gas that sublimates, goes from a solid to a gas, at room temperature. It is also a known carcinogen.
Definitely not a substance I want to be caught misapplying. My customers can do what they want but after seeing homeowners use the stuff on every species imaginable from armadillos to yellowjackets and literally everything in between I am of the firm  conclusion that the stuff at best gives a temporary, very temporay, avoidance reaction at best with zero long term success.

BTW, I have done one cut out that had an empty box of mothballs in the cavity with them.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 11:57:52 am »
The Bee Go is to keep the female cutout video groupies at bay

and the spouse, kids, dog.....

i don't do repair.  i explain to them what they need to do and why.  seems to work ok....but again...mostly outbuildings....
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 12:06:54 pm »
Kathy, I don't do repairs either but I do offer to advise whoever does the repairs if they want it beeproofed.

Offline Lburou

• New Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 04:41:15 pm »
Had a new swarm move into the same exact location I finished a cutout on 3 weeks ago, now I've got to remove these new bees on my nickle. Thought I had sealed it up tighter than a drum.

What's the best means to keep bees out of an old nest area?

I read a long time ago that 'Wintergreen oil' repellent.  Some drug stores may carry it, otherwise, an on line search will give you a source.  An oil may have a longer half-life than non-oil repellents.   :)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 10:58:29 pm by Lburou »

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2012, 10:02:57 am »
I will add stuffing fiberglass insulation and steel wool to my routine.

Thanks for the tips.

Anybody ever tried a box of moth balls?

Don

As David M mentioned its a fumigant you don't want to be breathing in. With that said I have done two cut outs I can think of in wall voids that had prior colonies whereby entire boxes of moth balls were placed inside the wall before it was closed up!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2012, 10:06:07 am »
Don, I tried Pming you but your mail box is full. The first video I did this year I believe is the one you are asking about.

First Removal Of This Season-2012

If not let me know.

...JP

Offline montauk170

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2012, 08:30:54 pm »
What do pest control companies spray what they call "bee repellent"??

Also, I did a huge cutout in the attic this past weekend, 12 hour job, it wasn't huge but very tough to get to from a tiny hole in the ceiling and the combs were in the next section over. Tons of ducts and pipes right above the bathroom attic space.

Anyways, in a situation where it's an attic, there's so much space, there's no way to stuff the entire attic with fiberglass insulation. And the homeowner checked with the builder and said smaller mesh would be against building code. So... now, how to prevent bees from moving in again in the future?

Offline saperica

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2012, 02:53:41 pm »
I use aplle vinager for repelling

Offline Keskin

• New Bee
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2012, 03:45:33 pm »
I have a beekeeper neighbour that I hate. He made traps for my swarms but never catch.
Once he hang his traps, I am just rubbing very firmly, a bunch of daisy flowers and leaves to the entrances.
No evidence, no environmental pollution...  :evil:
How many times I’ve wonder
and it still comes out the same.
                                              Conway Twitty

No matter how you look at it or think of it
You see it’s life and we just got to play the game.
                                              Sam Moore

For curious people: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAA_LUCb0QE&feature=related

anything