Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive Removal with possible thunderstorms late in the day.  (Read 1419 times)

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
Hive Removal with possible thunderstorms late in the day.
« on: May 28, 2012, 11:33:21 pm »
Any problem with doing a  removal/cut out on a day that may have thunderstorms later in the day - like 4 p.m. - when work is not done, and with bees likely coming home?  I haven't been doing this that long and I always had nice weather when I've done these and need some advice.  Thanks.
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Hive Removal with possible thunderstorms late in the day.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 08:09:53 am »
Sunny day, I do cutouts without veil.
Storm on the horizon, I wouldn't do a cutout for love nor money.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 10:08:31 am »
If the forecast is for afternoon showers & I can perform the removal early it should not be a problem. As Iddee pointed out though they might be in a pissy mood with the ensuing inclimate weather. Really depends on the bees though. My main concern would be the void space that was accessed to remove the hive receiving excessive moisture. Have a plan to safeguard against that issue, perform the removal early & leave the set up there if its a downpour when you have to pick them up.

I know you couldn't do that on this one as you mentioned in your PM a round trip of 50 miles but sometimes you have to do what you have to do. You could always include a fee for the return trip in your price. Good luck with your removal this Thursday!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 12:14:28 pm »
JP and Iddee,

Thank you for your replies.  This is going to be an interesting removal.  The bees are entering through a hole in a false stucco fascia wall for an enclosed deck.  So all the work will be done from the deck and sheltered by the roof of the deck above.  I've only seen photos up to this point but it seems the approach will be to remove the two feet of fascia on interior side of the deck to ascertain exactly where  the bees are going.  This is likely into the floor - which is not decking but flooring like a living room.  There is another deck below with a ceiling so it's either working below against gravity or working from above.  I'd rather work looking down than looking up and straining my neck and being showered by honey. 

By the way, Iddee, I sent your short reply above to the homeowner. Succinct and to the point.  He seemed to like it.
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 04:41:25 pm »
I just posted a thread in the removal section. That is the way they go on a sunny day. Also, just after a rain, they aren't bad. They are meanest when the front is on the way in.

JP says it really depends on the bees. Yeah, if they are dead, they aren't bad. If they are alive, they will try to kill you.  :lau:
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*