Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Tree Removal, 9' of hive  (Read 12927 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Tree Removal, 9' of hive
« on: February 26, 2009, 12:33:11 am »
Hive in a tree, 7' of it on the ground when I got there, removed colony, got the queen, got to use the chain saw, didn't cut myself nor anyone else, haha!

Tree guy met me late afternoon right before dark, nice guy, even nicer after he safely got me 50-60' up to remove the last 2' of comb and safely back to earth.

New hive.

Pics http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus/February252009?authkey=_qKCEbsfPSU#

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline fermentedhiker

• Field Bee
Re: Tree Removal, 9' of hive
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 12:36:41 am »
That's great.  Thanks for sharing. btw how did they respond to you cutting the side out of that tree section?
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams

Offline gaucho10

• House Bee
    • Bees, Bats and Beyond
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 12:39:36 am »
Cool JP...Who took the chain saw to the side of that log?  Did they give you the privilege?
My favorite comedy program used to be Glenn Beck--The only thing is that after I heard the same joke over and over again it became BOOOORING.....

People who have inspired me throughout my life---Pee-wee Herman, Adolph Hitler, George W. Bush, Glenn Beck.
Notice I did not say they were people who I admire !!!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 12:41:48 am »
I used lots of smoke before cutting. I took about a dozen or so stings to the hands but their venom wasn't very strong. The hive had good numbers, comb was like cutting through shoe leather. I like these bees a lot. It was slow going, a never give up attitude and a miracle I found the queen on this hive.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 12:43:53 am »
Cool JP...Who took the chain saw to the side of that log?  Did they give you the privilege?

gaucho, you see that trailer in the pics? I keep my vast array of cut out tools in there including a chain saw, its my shed on wheels, lol.

...JP

Offline gaucho10

• House Bee
    • Bees, Bats and Beyond
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 12:53:09 am »
JP,  When you took to the chain saw, did you cut one or two feet at a time or did you determine how far to go and cut the whole distance (9 ft.) in one shot?
My favorite comedy program used to be Glenn Beck--The only thing is that after I heard the same joke over and over again it became BOOOORING.....

People who have inspired me throughout my life---Pee-wee Herman, Adolph Hitler, George W. Bush, Glenn Beck.
Notice I did not say they were people who I admire !!!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 12:56:33 am »
JP,  When you took to the chain saw, did you cut one or two feet at a time or did you determine how far to go and cut the whole distance (9 ft.) in one shot?

I painstakingly cut 2' at a time.

...JP

Offline jdpro5010

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 10:43:12 am »
Did you cut the original section down or did somebody get a real surprise 40' in the air! :'(

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 11:04:39 am »
Did you cut the original section down or did somebody get a real surprise 40' in the air! :'(

The home owner told me that approx 2 yrs ago she hired some guy to spray a colony up in the tree via bucket truck and thought they were gone.

The tree was dying, so they decided to cut it down, the tree cutters got a surprise, but still lowered the main section w/ bees on the ground.

...JP

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 11:28:29 am »
I did two like this last year and have a downed tree already set up for cutout at a beek meeting. After seeing yours, I am relieved I did it similarly.
Is that the queen in a few of those pics? My screen is just a little fuzzy.
I also want to ask. Thats obviously an older hive. Looks like they were going back and forth inside the log w/ main brood area switching ends over time. This appears to be normal in feral hives if they have enough room. If not I think they abscond periodically to get the hive cleaned out. Just an observation. My question, how much of the comb do you save? How much honey to you try to place in frames. I tend to get rid of evryhting thats not brood just to save time and effort. The hioney also collapses often making a huge mess. Lastly, I have problems getting the bees out. I wind up scooping bees ouit w. hands as they cling to sides of log
thanx in advance
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 11:33:36 am »
that's to cool.  looks like it was work! 

bee scooping is fun.  like a handful of little vibrators.... :jawdrop:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 11:36:35 am »
Seth, yes, the queen is in 3 pics, two are relatively clear, one a little fuzzy, she's the one w/ the golden abdomen.

I transfer broodcombs, bee bread combs, some honey, gotta watch putting too much honey for fear of ants.

Feed them to build stores.

Beevac helps gather left over bees.

Kathy, it was a lot of work, I'm sore today from all the cutting. I like these bees.

...JP

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 12:00:26 pm »
scary, but a lot of fun, ain't it.....

Good job, tho. Congrats

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j226/Iddee/removals/DSC_3.jpg
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 12:20:52 pm »
awesome. 

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 12:23:26 pm »
JP, and your saga begins!!!  I  know that there are going to be lots of cool stories comin' on from you.  Wow, that was pretty high up to go in that tree, what a job eh?  You be careful going up so high, I take my hat off to you for that, I have a terrible fear of heights and wonderful many times how people can go up to tall places, take care.  Have that most wonderful and awesome day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2009, 12:38:05 pm »
Wow, that was pretty high up to go in that tree, what a job eh?  You be careful going up so high, I take my hat off to you for that, I have a terrible fear of heights and wonderful many times how people can go up to tall places, take care.  Have that most wonderful and awesome day, Cindi

The attacking bees help you forget you're up high!
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2009, 12:46:27 pm »
Oh Seth, I don't believe that for a moment, smiling..... :roll: 8-) :) :) :).  Have the best of a wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2009, 04:52:36 pm »
Oh Seth, I don't believe that for a moment, smiling..... :roll: 8-) :) :) :).  Have the best of a wonderful day, Cindi

Cindi, actually Seth has a very valid point even if he's being a little sheepish. If you're busy doing something up there you're not thinking of the height issue.

This past yr I got a call late one evening from a pastor that was starting a new church in an old bldg. It was one of those super busy type days where I was runnin' and gunnin' and I stopped by the church to assist with a bee hive approx 35' up.

Normally, I don't go that high up on a ladder but this day I was so busy and time was a real issue as it was an hour or so before nightfall.

The guy painting up there had already pulled a lot of the comb out but bees were everywhere and about 5' higher up than where they were working.

I told them I'd help right now if they could get me up there and they put two extension ladders together and off I went with bucket and tools in hand.

I pulled comb out and ushered what bees I could along w/ brood comb and queen and at one point I realized how high up I was on this dinky ladder and couldn't believe what I had done, that's when I got a little concerned but had to shake it off cause I had a job to do.

Iddee, that tree looks a lot like the one I was in yesterday and the bucket is identical, except it was connected to the boom from underneath. Dang thing did rock back and forth a little though, sort of gave me the willies.

...JP

Offline Conchis

• New Bee
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2009, 05:37:52 pm »
Wow!....that's all I can say....amazing.  Congrats looks like a great bunch of bees.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2009, 10:08:51 pm »
Wow!....that's all I can say....amazing.  Congrats looks like a great bunch of bees.

Thank you!

Today they were orienting to the deep, bees everywhere, and in the bed of my truck, by evening they settled down and are tucked in for the night.

Here's a pic of them today

...JP