Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Thanksgiving Bees In A Shed  (Read 3416 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Thanksgiving Bees In A Shed
« on: November 25, 2010, 12:09:37 am »
For some reason this nice lady keeps her fluorescent lights on 24/7 under her carport but the issue is the beehive in her neighbor's shed. They really like her lights but she cannot afford to have bees flying around the lights anymore for fear one of her grandkids will step on one etc...

So I was called in to remove them today, November 24, a day before Thanksgiving.

Just to let you folks know, I inform everyone this time of year it is best to let the bees overwinter right where they are until spring but its either I remove them now or they wind up getting sprayed.

Today and yesterday was in the mid 80's.

Emil stopped by to assist and even though he did the "gnat dance" I somehow was unable to catch it on video, but of course you can see Emil perform the gnat dance on the video "Failing Colony Removed From Trailer In Hopedale Louisiana" and I will also include the dance on the bloopers video coming soon.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

...JP

Thanksgiving Bees
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Online G3farms

• Super Bee
Re: Thanksgiving Bees In a Shed
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 12:30:08 am »
That poor little skeeter just had a sweet tooth, he was probably headed down to the shake shack when he smelled the fresh honey :-D
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 12:33:38 am »
Yeah, he got all mixed up, must be one of those tree huggin' skeeters.  :idunno:

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline jhs494

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 11:26:06 am »
Very nice job JP. Great looking weather for November.
Good luck with finding the queen, hopefully she will come back around and can be reunited with the rest of the bees. I look forward to the update.

As always thanks for taking the time to make these videos and sharing them with all of us.

Joe
Joe S.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 11:46:22 am »
If that queen saw what you did to that turkey she's probably in Baton Rouge by now! :-D

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 12:52:50 pm »
Well Scott, turkey is good but fried turkey is better! Happy turkey day everybody!

...JP

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
  • Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
    • Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 07:20:35 pm »
Good job. Now if you could get your help to quit taking so many honey breaks you might be able to get something done. LOL
Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 07:23:31 pm »
BTW, that one was alot sweeter than my thanksgiving day call. I had to go get a dead deer out of a nice ladies yard this morning but then again I got "holiday pay" for rolling out this morning.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 09:29:53 pm »
Was the deer still good enough to eat? That's what I want to know. Ain't nothing wrong with fresh road kill. If rigor mortis hasn't set in and they're still warm when gutted its good to go!

...JP

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 10:07:25 pm »
I don't get that lucky. This one was at least 48 hours past the expiration date for me but not the opossums. At least it wasn't one of the follow your nose type of removals.

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2010, 10:55:16 pm »
about the mosquito, I read someplace that male skeeters don't drink blood - I don't remember it saying they like nectar, but it said something like "they feed on plants" - (probably meant nectar)
I always like watching you handle the bees - I trust my bees enough to do inspections and work without my equipment on - I don't trust ME not to tick 'em off enough to do any real inspecting without it.
you're about the same lattitude as me - it's usually chilly here this time of year (not complaining but something about the chill in the air makes the oysters go down better on thanksgiving day.)
be happy and make others happy.

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 01:18:27 am »
jp good job on the cutout.road kill ,jp the next time you come down this way try this .get a can of orange paint and paint a circle around every dead animal you see.when you leave to go back home you can pickup what you want that don'thave a circle around them :-D   ...schawee
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 08:08:39 am »
Schawee, I was taught if its close to the highway, you're probably the first one in a truck to pass it, so its probably good roadkill. That has worked for me several times.  ;)

...JP