Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Photos of my trap out  (Read 3784 times)

Offline Johnny253

• House Bee
Photos of my trap out
« on: February 01, 2012, 07:46:26 am »
Just thought I'd try posting some pics. This is of a trap out that I did with a friend on January 23. Seems to be working fine so far. I have been thinking though, whether the chance of catching the queen would be increased if the end of the cone was inside the box? That way when she comes out, she'll come into a box full of bees and may just stay there, particularly if she enters before a new queen is raised.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline Johnny253

• House Bee
Re: Photos of my trap out
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 07:52:35 am »
Here's another photo looking from the front taken the morning after it was set up.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The cone is made from some second hand fly screen. Nothing special but we had to take it off and neaten it up by cutting off the loose bits inside the cone (cos some bees were getting caught and weren't finding their way out) and stitch it together.

Offline yockey5

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 03:37:07 pm »
The cone is a bit long, but it looks fine.

Offline shan777

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 10:46:27 pm »
so explain what should happen in an ideal world with this set up and over how long? ( newbie question of course)

Offline Johnny253

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 11:38:22 pm »
Yockey, yeah, it probably doesn't need to be that long, it was made out of an offcut piece and I didn't bother cutting it down, just trimmed it to shape. I don't think it matters much and figured there'd be less chance of bees finding the opening if it was further away anyway. Do you think putting the end of the cone into the box would increase the chance of catching the queen?

Shan, I don't think anyone can one can explain this process better than Iddee. He's the trap out master! Refer to the following post for futher details.

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,20301.0.html

Offline the-ecohouse.com

• House Bee
    • the-ecohouse.com
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 05:59:53 am »
nice work  :)

anything