Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Are you the 1st generation?  (Read 9812 times)

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: Are you the 1st generation?
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2009, 03:44:50 am »
Counting my grandkids, who are just starting to learn at the ripe age of 5, we have 9 generations of beekeepers in my family and maybe more as my greatgreatgrandfather changed his name from Schmidt to Smith when he immigrated to the USA from Germany nearly 2 centuries ago.  I don't know what part of Germany that part of the family is from so can't trace it beyond US immigration.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Koala John

• House Bee
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2009, 08:50:12 am »
Wow, some great stories there.

I'm a third generation beekeeper, both my Dad and Grandfather were sideliners/semi professional beekeepers at times.

I have hives set up right in front of a window at home so my very young daughters can happily watch me work the bees. I'm hoping what may be our family's fourth generation of beekeepers will get some inspiration through those widows  :)

Offline shaux

• New Bee
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2009, 02:37:18 pm »
First generation here as far as I know.  Long line of blacksmiths and farmers though.  I started when my neighbor tore down his shed and there was hive under it.  Knew about it for years but never thought anything of it.  I tried to save it but couldn't get supplies in time and he ended up torching it.

Offline contactme_11

• House Bee
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2009, 05:08:03 pm »
My grandfather on my mother's side grew up on a farm and always had bees, don't know if any other people in his family did but probably. My dad always had bees until probably 10 years ago when AFB came around and we gave up for a while. A couple years ago I got married and my wife told me she thought beekeeping was really cool and that it was something she wanted to try someday. So really fast I have 4 hives again.

Offline CBEE

• House Bee
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2009, 10:35:03 am »
Grandpa kept bees then skipped a generation to me.. funny how things skip generations. Interesting to see how many 1st generation beekeepers there are. I come from small family farm where we did a LITTLE bit of everything. A little bit of livestock. A little bit of orchard. A little bit of crops and garden. Sold a little bit of everthing. tried to sell my brother but mom wouldn't let me :roll:

Offline nella

• House Bee
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2009, 11:50:43 am »
I am the first generation beek, I had hives about 25 yrs ago and have a lot of catching up to do!

Offline DennisB

• House Bee
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2009, 12:10:58 pm »
I am the first in my family to my knowledge. My son-in-law and 8 year old grand-daughter now have hives with me. Neat way to spend time with them!

Dennis

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2009, 12:24:41 pm »
Not sure if I'm the First, but I'm sure I will be the last in my family here in the USA. Both of my parents emigrated from Hungary during the Revolution 1956-57 so I've heard nothing about beekeeping from either of them.

BH  :)

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2009, 10:51:15 am »
I'm the only bee keeper in my family. Mr Sanford had bee's when I was a kid and I was the only kid that would hang out with him and help when I could. That was 38 years ago. I started in June of last year and plan to have my granddaughter's help me with them.
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline papabear

• House Bee
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2009, 11:52:04 am »
I found out that in the 1800s my family had some hives. Now I have three. Thats cool
"IF YOU BELIEVE THAT JESUS DIED FOR U, YOU WILL HAVE ETERNAL LIFE."

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2009, 05:14:23 pm »
Thought I was a first generation beekeeper. I was informed yesteday my POP (Grandad) keep five hives. He passed when I was three.

Here's to you POP :) :-D!
John 3:16

anything