Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: honey  (Read 6194 times)

Offline riverrat

• House Bee
Re: honey
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2010, 11:36:16 pm »
There are food substances made from crude oil, derivatives, colorings.  But technically those were plants.

But we need carbohydrates, fats, and other substances which don't occur without a life form changing the basic molecules, carbon to carbohydrates, etc.

This has turned into a interesting thread i hadnt rreally thought about it until i asked the guy running machine next  to me if he knew of any food that didnt come from an animal or plant that died or the food died as a result and his answer suprised me when he said honey/ it has made for some interesting answers i think i will stick to honey and let the runners have the oleastra
never take the top off a hive on a day that you wouldn't want the roof taken off your house

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2010, 11:49:06 pm »
Let me put in a vote for eggs again. An unfertilized egg has no life potential in it at all. Of course, plants and bugs died in order for the chicken to eat. So, I guess it comes back to that age-old question: Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Sorry, I really need some sleep. Getting a little slap happy here  :-X
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline Paynesgrey

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2010, 11:50:57 pm »
Clay? Kaolin? Ice chips? They are eaten in some cultures, and other folks may eat them too, especially if vitamin deficient. But of course they have no calories, which makes them rather useless as food. It's inescapable - Everything living is somewhere on a food chain, where depends on what part of life (or death) you happen to be in. Even crude oil/oil shale, those long dead oddly decomposed plants can be digested by a few types of bacteria.

Offline riverrat

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2010, 08:48:26 am »
Let me put in a vote for eggs again. An unfertilized egg has no life potential in it at all. Of course, plants and bugs died in order for the chicken to eat. So, I guess it comes back to that age-old question: Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

an unfertilized egg is a living cell it cannot produce a chick unless it is fertilized by another living cell unless of course you are talking about drone brood that dont need fertilized. My vote is still with honey even though enzymes inthe honey stomach turns the nectar to honey if you dont heat it it will not kill off the enzymes
never take the top off a hive on a day that you wouldn't want the roof taken off your house

Offline caticind

• House Bee
  • Nothing sweeter...
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2010, 12:17:59 pm »
Enzymes in the honey stomach are not living themselves.  They are non-living products of the bee's stomach and of the bacteria that live inside it.

Many vegetables and fruits do not require the death of a plant because they are seed capsules, not the entire plant.  Fruit trees live for many years and are not killed by having their fruit harvested.  The same is true for most vegetables, except for tubers and grains, and also for the egg.  With fruit one cannot even say that eating the fruit "kills" the plant that might sprout from the seed, as many plants have evolved such that their fruits must be eaten in order for the seed to sprout.

Funny to think of eggs as "chicken-fruits" though.  :)
The bees would be no help; they would tumble over each other like golden babies and thrum wordlessly on the subjects of queens and sex and pollen-gluey feet. -Palimpsest

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2010, 04:35:16 pm »
Honey can not count.   Honey has living spores of botulinus intoxication in it.   You know botulism. 

Offline riverrat

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2010, 11:20:54 pm »
Honey can not count.   Honey has living spores of botulinus intoxication in it.   You know botulism. 

if you use raw honey you are not killing off the spores so nothing died which qualifies it has a food source

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2010, 08:34:22 am »
So they don't die when you eat them?   Then what about bean sprouts that I eat whole?  Anything whole?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2010, 10:44:50 am »
Well, hard to say what a chicken killed in it's life, as they eat bugs and plants, but you don't have to kill anything to eat the eggs that they will produce regardless and they won't even try to hatch most of them and if there is no rooster around they would never develop into an egg anyway...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything