Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Canning with reusable canning lids?  (Read 2702 times)

Offline Rebecka

• New Bee
Canning with reusable canning lids?
« on: April 23, 2010, 11:07:24 am »
Has anyone tried the reusable canning lids ? I found some on the internet and they look pretty interesting, but pricey. The two piece lids, I would think have a higher margin of failure.

Offline irerob

• House Bee
Re: Canning with reusable canning lids?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 10:28:52 pm »
 I have heard that you shouldn't use them because there isn't a way to check the seal for failure. I am far from an expert though.
You don't need a parachute to sky dive.... you do how ever need one to sky dive twice.
 KJ4QMH.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 01:02:35 am »
I have seen people reuse the regular ones and then check for the vacuum.  Most will pop up if it fails and you can just put those in the freezer.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 03:46:42 pm »
I've been told that the gaskets for the old glass reusable lids are hard to find and expensive. 
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline Rebecka

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 08:29:08 am »
For anyone interested, The May/June issue of Backwoods Home has a fairly positive review of a particular brand of reusable canning lids. As it turns out, its the same brand I was checking into.

anything