Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Greetings - Vetch from N. Florida  (Read 2809 times)

Offline Vetch

• House Bee
Greetings - Vetch from N. Florida
« on: May 07, 2008, 07:08:31 pm »
Hi,

I just got bitten (stung?) by the idea of keeping bees. Have gone to a one day class and am planning for purchase of 2 hives, bees and equipment when I get my IRS economic stimulus check in a few weeks. Have started planning lots of bee friendly plants in my half acre (lavender, bee-balm, monarda, agastache, etc.).

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
Re: Greetings - Vetch from N. Florida
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 08:21:27 pm »
Welcome, Where in N Florida are you located?  We're just north of the Fl/Al state line north of Panama City?  Used our Stimulus check to buy more Bee stuff too.  This is our first year also.  Two hives going like gang busters!  Planing for six by June. :)

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 07:34:01 am »
Hey Vetch!

Hello and Welcome!

Glad you found us - this is a very friendly place to learn about bees. It has a great 'search' function that I use a lot: many times my question has already been asked & answered and I don't have to wait for anyone to reply.

You mentioned that you've taken a beekeeping class. What is given by a local club? I always recommend getting connected with local beekeepers since much of beekeeping is "location specific". Clubs are good places to find mentors and continue learning about bees.

And speaking of "location specific" - please update your profile to include your location. Then whenever you post a question we'll know where you are and can provide more accurate answers.

Looking forward to reading about your adventures with bees. Now go out there and stimulate the economy!

Offline Vetch

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 09:33:08 am »
I'm near Jacksonville.  The class was sponsored by 4-H, the NE Florida Beekeepers organization, and the agricultural extension. It was held on the Clay County Agricultural Fairgrounds in Green Cove. It was very informative and enjoyable - a good jump start. It was also nice to get the wife involved (the $10 fee was for one person or a couple, and we each got two free honey bears!).

You getting any of that tupelo honey over in the panhandle??  I've got in-laws near Andalusia.

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 11:30:16 am »
We're 12 miles from Andalusia.  Our Hives are located on our 200 acre farm that contains 40 acres of native woodlands.  Don't know if there are any Tupelo in there or not. But at the last BeeK meeting (1st April) the chairman stated he just placed 20 hives in Tupelo south of Andalusia. Will let you know how they do. :)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 10:31:10 am »
Vetch, welcome to our forum, so nice that you are intending to keep bees, and are readying your property with bee plants.  There is a list of great bee plants that I have compiled with the help of another forum member, Reinbow, I have made a new topic in the gardening forum, so if you are interested check it out.  Welcome, enjoy your visits with us, you will make new friends and this is the best place to share stories, ask questions, you will soon find that out.  Have that beautiful and most wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Vetch

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 10:34:07 am »
Thanks, Cindi,

I'm heading over to check out the plant list.

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 10:43:42 am »
Welcome Aboard Neighbor. I assume you have met Nancy and the gang at the beekeepers club. I Haven't been to a meeting in quite a while due to work schedules but there are a lot of great people in there.  I hope to meet you soon and if you need some help just let me know.

anything