Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Easiest way of a farmer providing water during a pollination contract?  (Read 6040 times)

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
Hi Folks,

Just wondering if you might be able to help me out - I've had a farmer approach me for a pollination contract - the crop is fully enclosed in a shade house so water access etc is restricted... Obviously the plants will be drip irrigated but I don't want to rely on that as their only water source. What's the methods a farmer could employ to supply the bees with adequate water whilst ensuring they don't drown?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Easiest way of a farmer providing water during a pollination contract?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 09:08:21 pm »
If a shade house is what we call a green house, the bees will not go in and out down low. They will fly to the top and die.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 09:11:38 pm »
As Iddee said, the bees will fly to the brightest area and die against the glass/fabric.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 09:36:49 pm »
If a shade house is what we call a green house, the bees will not go in and out down low. They will fly to the top and die.

Hives will be placed inside the shadehouse it's quite a large area that's undercover

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 11:01:38 pm »
A couple of old bath tubs or horse troughs would do I would think.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 11:34:19 pm »
How would you resolve the potential drowning issue?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 11:58:48 pm »
There is very little, if any, drowning issue with water. The trouble comes with sugar water or honey. It is sticky. Anything that floats would work in water.  Dead plant leaves, boards, straw, etc.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 12:47:45 am »
So, theoretically, if you put a few bits of polystyrene foam floating on the water this would resolve any issues? Also, this contract would be feasible if the hives are located in the greenhouse correct? obviously if they were located outside of the shadecloth you'd have issues with them flying back out...

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 08:06:10 am »
Bees fly for 4 Kilometers in all directions. It's just a guess, but I think you will lose your bees in a greenhouse.
Styrofoam would be fine in a water tank

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 08:29:37 am »
Iddee, why do you suppose they will be lost in a greenhouse?

Oz, a bit more info please, what is the crop you're pollinating?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 10:19:53 am »
They go to the top and try to get out. They never go back down to where the curtains are raised. They stay up there and die.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 02:43:31 pm »
The point that seems to keep being missed though is that the hives will be under the shade cloth -so open sides or not it shouldn't matter too much surely

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 06:45:35 pm »
There will not be enough blooms inside to supply the hive, unless it contains acres. They will try to go farther.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2012, 09:47:50 pm »
That's what I'm trying to get out of Oz, I suspect he's talking about an apple orchard, which often is acres covered in shadecloth.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 12:09:21 am »
Sorry bernsad and sorry iddee - I understand what you're saying now, it's not a massive area that's under shadecloth - it's about 3,000m2 and not everything is in flower... looking at the photos i've been sent through of the setup there are two ends that are completely open and on the sides the shade cloth goes to the ground. What would be the best way of positioning the hives in that situation? The rows run from open end to open end so i was thinking of positioning the hives just out from undeneath the shade cloth facing in toward the row ends

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2012, 12:29:30 am »
Sounds reasonable to me. I suppose you could set it up and moniter it for a few hours or check it after a day and see what you think. Put them in on condition that you might have to pull out if you're losing too many girls.

anything