Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Record keeping with Hive Tracks  (Read 1786 times)

Offline mhenson

• Brood
Record keeping with Hive Tracks
« on: October 27, 2010, 07:05:48 am »
Hive Tracks is a free yet powerful web based application for beekeepers of all stripes. It has a simple user interface which allows users to enter their hives and see them just as they appear in their own bee yards. Hive Tracks records weather, inspections, hive changes, queen history and more automatically. Initially only available in the US, Hive Tracks support all countries now. Hive Tracks will be featured Bee Culture Magazine in November 2010.

I was not able to add a link this post but you can Google "Hive Tracks" to find the site. Since Hive Tracks is free to its users we feel its acceptable to mention it on forums like this one. Please take a look and give us your feedback.

Sincerely,
Mark Henson
Founder of Hive Tracks

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: Record keeping with Hive Tracks
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 07:43:46 am »
I went to the website. But did not go through the account registration process.

I do have a question.

Is this a onetime downloadable file? Or is this an account you make, manage, and keep on someone eles's server and computor? That is the sense I get from your website.

I may be interested in a download file. But if you think I would be giving you all my beekeeping records as some type of data base for you to collect and use in the future, I am not interested.

Can you tell me more about how this registration and account works? And if it is not a download, why not? Why set up accounts and make people register and enter personal business data into your system?

Thank you.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 08:18:16 am »
BjornBee  Look Here

If you create an account please know that the data you enter is as secure and permanent as we can make it. We will e-mail you from time to time but only with important information related to the development of the site or beekeeping in your area.

Because Hive Tracks is young new updates and bug fixes are added to the application frequently. Be sure to check back often. Weather data can only be recorded for your bee yards when you view them, another reason to visit often. If you run across an issue with the software or missing features please e-mail us at the Contact e-mail address posted on the home page and we will respond as quickly as possible.

We respect your privacy and will not abuse, sell or disclose member location or contact information. However we do intend to mine the data entered by members in Hive Tracks to report trends, practices and other meaningful information and to make that information public. We will not publish members physical addresses or specific locations but we will issue reports on geographic areas by zip code, state or county.

Hive Tracks is here for the greater good of honey bees and beekeepers. Abusive behavior by members will not be tolerated and your account may be locked out or deleted for bad behavior. Please respect the privacy and sensitivity of other members
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 08:20:54 am »
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

bigbearomaha

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 04:22:49 pm »
HIvetracks is hosted on GoDaddy.

GoDaddy has had at least 3 major malware/security issues in 2010 so far.

I think it's fine to offer services online for people who have no interest or opportunity to handle their own files locally, however, I really wish more developers would release their software as locally installable so that people who do have the opportunity to host their own information are able to do so and not have their information on the internet.

To say that the possibility of hivetracks or beetight or any other website, especially those on hosted services like GoDaddy are completely 'safe' is stretching things a bit.

Having said all that,  I think that both hivetracks (once it accommodates top bar hives) and beetight are nice server based apps that have a lot to offer beekeepers who prefer to track their hive data in this way.

It's just too bad  I can't use it on my own local and more secure server instead.

Big Bear

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 10:12:32 am »
Looked at the demo, pretty cool. Didn't see a print option if you wanted to print the inspections.

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline Hemlock

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 05:50:08 pm »
I played with the Demo and found it couldn't account for the types of frames in EACH box on a single hive.  Which box has the one drone frame, or the natural comb vs. the crimped-wire replacement.

I couldn't find a way to note modified equipment either.  Like a venting shim with a HTF in it.

Maybe I'm missing something...
Make Mead!