Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How do the hives stay stacked  (Read 9423 times)

Offline mjdtexan

• House Bee
  • BBQ MASTER
How do the hives stay stacked
« on: October 13, 2010, 10:47:40 am »
Well, after a brief hiccup I am back. I've put together a nice woodshop and would like to build my own Langstroth hives. I find plans online but for the life of me I cant find what type of joinery yall are using to keep the supers on top of the brood chamber. Did my question make sense? They dont just stay on top like that without some sort of groove right?
Wine Maker
Gardener
BBQ Competition Enthusiast
Interested in Hot Peppers
Texas Apiary Inspection Service

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: How do the hives stay stacked
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 10:52:26 am »
Gravity hold it down on the brood box for the first day or two.  Then the bees will have it glued down.  Tight.

Offline mjdtexan

• House Bee
  • BBQ MASTER
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 10:58:12 am »
Gravity hold it down on the brood box for the first day or two.  Then the bees will have it glued down.  Tight.

Wow, I thought there was some sort of mechanism holding it together. I guess that just makes it simpler to build. I've noticed that the pine at the box stores is fairly knotty. Are knots bad and iffin they are, how come?

AllenF thank you for taking the time to read my post and answering it. Much appreciated.
Wine Maker
Gardener

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 11:07:46 am »
knots are fine.  i buy the cheaper supers with made with lower grade/knotty wood.  no problem.  try not to knock them out and make big holes  :-)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 11:13:03 am »
I caulk the loose knot holes to start with as I paint them.   Bees will take care of them from there.

Offline mjdtexan

• House Bee
  • BBQ MASTER
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 11:14:14 am »
knots are fine.  i buy the cheaper supers with made with lower grade/knotty wood.  no problem.  try not to knock them out and make big holes  :-)

Thank You Kathy. If you wouldnt mind could you tell me where you buy yours and how much they are? I want to make sure I cant buy them cheaper than I could build them.

Also, thank you for the time you have taken to help me.

I caulk the loose knot holes to start with as I paint them.   Bees will take care of them from there.
Allen, is there a special caulk or will any outdoor caulk work? Thank you too Allen for helping me
Wine Maker
Gardener

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 11:40:30 am »
i usually buy from mann lake.  they ship from CA to me and the shipping is usually less even if the price per item might be more.  maybe some of the down south folks can point you in the right direction.  also, a couple of places are doing free shipping right now.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 11:54:10 am »
On caulk, the cheaper, the better.   

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 12:03:43 pm »
I bought my 8 frame mediums from Mann Lake last spring.  I ordered a couple more from Better Bee last month and they were a full 1/4 inch wider than the Mann Lake ones.  Is that kind of variation common from supplier to supplier. Or even within the same company.  I thought this stuff was so standardized their wouldn't bee that noticeable a variation.
linda d

Offline mjdtexan

• House Bee
  • BBQ MASTER
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 12:04:57 pm »
On caulk, the cheaper, the better.  

Thank You. Is there a dado or rabbit cut into where the frames are held? I need to search for me a used or damaged hive body to examine I suppose. Thank You again.

Edited to add: I may have framed that question wrong. I am trying to figure out what the frames rest on (or in) in a hive body to keep them from just resting on the bottom of the hive body.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 12:19:44 pm by mjdtexan »
Wine Maker
Gardener

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 12:22:23 pm »

Thank You. Is there a dado or rabbit cut into where the frames are held? I need to search for me a used or damaged hive body to examine I suppose. Thank You again.
Thats the 100,000 dollar question
100 Bee Box makers and each one does it his or her own way
Some swear Butt them Glue and screw
others say/use dado and No glue just nail
Others Screw no glue and it goes on

I started making mine with Dado, Glue and Brad nail
I also made the first ones with a Lap joint "L"

Enjoy
Tom
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline mjdtexan

• House Bee
  • BBQ MASTER
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 01:21:16 pm »

Thats the 100,000 dollar question
100 Bee Box makers and each one does it his or her own way
Some swear Butt them Glue and screw
others say/use dado and No glue just nail
Others Screw no glue and it goes on

I started making mine with Dado, Glue and Brad nail
I also made the first ones with a Lap joint "L"

Enjoy
Tom
Thanks Tom.

Tom, how do the frames sit in the box? Is there a recess for them to fit into?
Wine Maker
Gardener

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 01:32:14 pm »
At the top of the hive body, the frame rest is cut out. Like a rabbet joint. The cut out is 3/8 wide (half the thickness of the 3/4 inch board that you are using) by 5/8 deep.

Offline mjdtexan

• House Bee
  • BBQ MASTER
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 01:36:59 pm »
At the top of the hive body, the frame rest is cut out. Like a rabbet joint. The cut out is 3/8 wide (half the thickness of the 3/4 inch board that you are using) by 5/8 deep.
Awesome. That is what I am looking for. I am going to drive to the sawmill this weekend and get me some pine. I can get it for about a dollar a bd foot for 1x12s which is really ¾" by 11½ inches. Thank You. Much appreciated.  :mrgreen:
Wine Maker
Gardener

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2010, 01:46:29 pm »
Check out beesource.com for plans.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline mjdtexan

• House Bee
  • BBQ MASTER
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2010, 01:50:13 pm »
Check out beesource.com for plans.

Scott
Thank You. I will do that. I think I am a member over there too. I approve (not that you need my approval) of your signature line by golly
Wine Maker
Gardener

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2010, 02:18:25 pm »
mjdtexan:  Sorry to cut in on your question, but I have one of my own and it sort of applies.

My husband and I found that when we buy lumber from the hardware store, it warps over the course of the first year of use, even though it's been painted.  The results included some gapping in the jointed areas and the need to plane a few of the boxes to get them to sit flush with each other again.

We've had better luck with boxes made from used lumber that's had a chance to dry more.

How have the rest of you gotten around that issue?  If you acquire new lumber, do you store it for awhile first to let it finish?

Offline mjdtexan

• House Bee
  • BBQ MASTER
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2010, 02:34:01 pm »
mjdtexan:  Sorry to cut in on your question, but I have one of my own and it sort of applies.

My husband and I found that when we buy lumber from the hardware store, it warps over the course of the first year of use, even though it's been painted.  The results included some gapping in the jointed areas and the need to plane a few of the boxes to get them to sit flush with each other again.

We've had better luck with boxes made from used lumber that's had a chance to dry more.

How have the rest of you gotten around that issue?  If you acquire new lumber, do you store it for awhile first to let it finish?
"Cut ins" never ever bother me. I usually learn something from them. I would not have thought of that issue myself. Thanks for bringing it up
Wine Maker
Gardener

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2010, 08:39:39 pm »
I bought my 8 frame mediums from Mann Lake last spring.  I ordered a couple more from Better Bee last month and they were a full 1/4 inch wider than the Mann Lake ones.  Is that kind of variation common from supplier to supplier. Or even within the same company.  I thought this stuff was so standardized their wouldn't bee that noticeable a variation.
I think betterbee uses a 7/8ths thick board instead of 3/4. I have some of these mixed in and encounter no problems, The inside dimensions are okay.the thicker wood is slightly better insukation and they seeem a bit sturdier,though heavier.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2023, 03:48:14 pm »
Bump
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

anything