Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Drive hook-up  (Read 3013 times)

Offline suprstakr

• House Bee
Drive hook-up
« on: December 31, 2009, 09:24:12 am »
Old puter died got new one . Took drive from old , how to hook-up old drive to get info of it ? :(

Offline davedill

• New Bee
Re: Drive hook-up
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 09:48:47 am »
if your computer skills are not advanced I would recommending finding a local geek to do it for you.  One factor may be that your old disk is dead which means you can't get information off of it cheaply if at all.  second, newer computers have a different disk connections (SATA instead of IDE).  Think of it like different plugs types that are not compatible.

Note to all members.  I recommend that you backup you PCs.  I personally use a tool called Mozy that only costs $5/month and automatically backs up your data every day.  if you don't have that much data (< 2GB) then it is free.  http://www.mozy.com

Please note I don't work for Mozy or get a finders fee  :-D

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 11:41:00 am »
I image my drives once a week using a product from Acronis called True Image. That way, if the HD dies, you can copy your image on a new drive and you are back in business. Nothing to reinstall.

back to suprstakr, can you tell us what happened. Did it fail to boot? What you you mean by "died"? More info and we might be able to help.

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline suprstakr

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 12:45:54 pm »
The power system went out and couldn't turn it on.