Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My Uncle gave me a bunch of bee keeping equipment and live bees  (Read 8448 times)

Offline MacfromNS

• House Bee
Re: My Uncle gave me a bunch of bee keeping equipment and live bees
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2009, 04:37:57 pm »
I wished I was closer so I could come help you move them,but I think you should
find some one to give you a hand that has worked with bees before,a club in
or around your home town maybe.
The most beautiful thing is to see a person smiling.
And even more beautiful is knowing that you are the reason behind it!!!
Mac

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2009, 05:26:57 pm »
are you sure you are up to the task of this? since you have never been in a hive. Not that changing over the frames would be a hard thing.
Why do you say they are ready to swarm for?

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2009, 05:32:26 pm »
nothing like diving into the deep end.  you'll be fine.

do you want some suggestions before you take the leap, or do you have it covered?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Bee Whisper82

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2009, 06:21:16 pm »
On the books I would read 'Beekeeping for Dummies'  it has helped me out and has a great deal of info. for a new beekeeper.

Congrats on the wonderful stuff. 8-)

I don't know a lot but I do know is if you get stung not to pull the stinger out with your fingers get some tweezers and grab it at the barb end not the venom sack.  I would invest in some Sting Kill it helps with the pain.  They say after a while you get a custom to the sting but I haven't.  :-D

Offline daniel-delarosa

• New Bee
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2009, 07:48:49 pm »

Why do you say they are ready to swarm for?

G3

nothing like diving into the deep end.  you'll be fine.

do you want some suggestions before you take the leap, or do you have it covered?

One hive is in just a single story box, it is maybe six or seven frames wide too.  A ton of bees are on the outside of it all of the time. 

Any suggestions ya'll have would be great!!   

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2009, 08:17:40 pm »
the bees on the outside are probably hot.  they hang out on the front porch when the temp is up.

set your box on your bottom board next to the established hive.  with your hive tool, or small prying tool, gently lift the end of the 1st frame.  watch to see if the comb is stuck to the frame next to it.  in unattended hives, sometimes the bees get messy.  if the comb is attached, use a sharp and long knife to slice the comb apart.  you will spill honey and kill brood, but that can't be avoided.  when you are sure that the first frame is unattached, loosen it from box on both ends and gently lift straight up.  place in new box in same position.  continue with each frame, only now you will be able to slide each frame over a bit after loosening it.  this will help you not to roll the bees and kill them ( or the queen).

be very careful lifting.  you may find a rotten or broken frame and they can be difficult to remove.  sometimes you need to push them up from the bottom if the top bar is broken. save those for last. your box will be easier to lift.  if you need to place any comb in new frames, use empty frames and rubber bands.  place rubber bands on frames 1st.... 3 or 4 will do.... place comb in empty frame, move rubber bands over to hold comb, and place in hive. 

if there are not 10 frames in the box, place your new frames with foundation, next to the brood. 

if you are not sure what brood, honey, etc. look like, take a few minutes to look at some pictures on the web.

you have a smoker?  smoke them some as you go, but not to much.

leave the setup in the place of the old hive until after dark.  then close it up well and take it on home.  make sure they have ventilation for the trip.  screen the top, or use a screened bottom board and screen the entrance. 

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2009, 08:53:56 pm »
Daniel, cybermentors are great but you sure could use a mentor by your side.

Good luck.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline hpm08161947

• New Bee
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2009, 09:23:54 pm »
My first act as a beek was to transport three hives about 12 miles in my truck.  My big mistake was not strapping the hives together - really created a mess - wish I had an experienced beek with me!  Just be sure an put a good little cinch around each hive so that the supers don't jiggle. 

Oh yea - wear that bee suit, veil and good leather gloves.  25 stings on your first night as a beekeeper is a tough introduction.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2009, 09:46:53 pm »
work slow and deliberate, no fast movements like swatting at the bees. Just remember they are wanting to look at you, just as you are looking at them.

Work your bees during the day when the sun is shining bright, that way most of the foragers are out and about. If it is cloudy, overcast, threatening rain or after a rain I would wait till the next day. If bees can't fly that day they get fussy.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Offline kedgel

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2009, 07:03:13 pm »
I found a store that had bee keeping supplies.  I got two new big boxes, frames and foundations.  Im about ready to get the bees now.  the boxes they are in are rotten at the bottom, Im afraid they wont make the trip.  Can I just pull the frames out and put them in a new box??  Or should I just set the new box in front of the old box since it looks like they are fixing to swarm anyways?

Welcome to beekeeping!!   I got started the same way.  A friend of mine gave me 2 hives and all his stuff.  If your brood boxes are rotten, your bottom board will be rotten, too, unless it is plastic.  If you replace the bottom boards, get plastic ones--they don't rot!  If you have to do new bottom boards and boxes, just transfer the frames into the new ones.  If you try going with all new stuff, they'll likely swarm.  Leave in the old frames and they'll stay with the brood.  If your hives are as neglected as I expect they are, the bees are turning feral, meaning they will be just like wild bees.  They may be a bit aggressive at first, but will calm down after awile.  (see my response to the earlier post about aggressive bees).  If you can move them without messing around inside first, I would.  That way you can do your inspections and changing out of equipment at you leisure once you get them set up at your house.  Speaking of which, if you can set them facing a hedge, big bush, building or a wall, this will raise their flight path which will lessen the likelihood of an unfortunate meeting with your wife.  You shouldn't need to replace many frames.  If the comb has gotten out of shape or has big holes in it, simply re-foundation it.  If the frames are glued up to the point that you break an end off getting it out, you can buy metal tips to repair them, thus saving the valuable brood.  You'll need to scare up some plugs to block the entrances the night before.  Seal up the hoods with tape or they may have an exit.  Do it in the morning EARLY so you and the bees won't overheat.  Good luck!
Talent is a dull blade that cuts nothing unless wielded with great force--Pat Travers

Offline daniel-delarosa

• New Bee
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2009, 01:27:22 am »
Well I went and picked up my bees.  It went okay I guess.  I didn't wear my bee suit at first.  But after I took a stinger to the dang ear hole, I put it on.(That was the first time I had ever been stung, by anything.)   Gonna swap the frames into new boxes tomorrow since they are super rotten.  Thanks for all the help ya'll!!!

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2009, 10:06:00 am »
A sting in the ear...............I know that smarts! One of my most memorable stings (among many) was on the ear.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2009, 11:43:03 am »
didn't your momma tell you to wear protection?????

do not swap out those frames without at least the face protection.  i know there are plenty of folks who use nothing and that's great, but at least until you have more experience and see how multiple stings sit with you, don't try to go without.

glad the moving went ok.  let us know how the swap goes.  hope you are taking pictures!!

Offline daniel-delarosa

• New Bee
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2009, 11:56:10 am »
I haven't taken pictures yet.  But I will.   Ya'll think I have to have a smoker to do the swap?  My uncle cant find the one he had.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2009, 12:01:13 pm »
I haven't taken pictures yet.  But I will.   Ya'll think I have to have a smoker to do the swap?  My uncle cant find the one he had.

Yes, a smoker and a bee suite is a must!

Steve

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2009, 12:09:42 pm »
just depends how many stings you want when U do it. no smoker likely more stings, smoker, probly none. :)
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2009, 01:06:51 pm »
a smoker would be great, and you want to get one.  if you don't have one, you can probably still do this if you are slow and don't jar them around to much.  a little sugar water in a spray bottle may help.  1 part sugar to 1 part water.  a light spritz may keep them busy grooming rather than coming after you.

if you get into this hive and find they get very angry, you may want to wait until the smoker if found.

when you smoke them, make sure it is cool smoke and do just a little at a time.  over smoking can stir them up.

every hive temperament is different. some you can mess with and they don't care.  some get angry when you pop the top.  it will be a judgment call on your part. 

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2009, 01:29:06 pm »
The smoker really depends on the disposition of the bees themselves and the abilities of the beek.

I have worked the same hive with out smoke and was no problem, another day they were a little fussy and wanted to come after you. Flow and weather play a big part on how bees react, unless of course they are just mean tempered to start with.

Wear your veil for sure and at least have the smoker fired up and ready even if you don't use it. If there is that much equipment around, there is at least one smoker somewhere.

Glad to hear you got them moved, sounds like things went good for you. Does not sound like your hive is in such bad shape if it did not fall apart or just crush.

So since that was your first sting of any kind how did you react?? Must not hve been too bad since you you are telling us about it, but still no fun.

G3

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2009, 03:43:44 pm »

If you'r goiing to buy get a big one 4'' x 10"

http://www.betterbee.com/products.asp?dept=666 

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline daniel-delarosa

• New Bee
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2009, 09:32:46 pm »
Well, I got everything changed out with no problems.  The bees were really calm.  There was a little damage to a few frames though.  I got a piece of honey comb that fell out of one of the frames and took it home.  The honey tasted weird, kinda tasted like how the old rotten box smelled that they were in. 

anything