Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Does Feeding Make the Bees Lazy?  (Read 2648 times)

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
Does Feeding Make the Bees Lazy?
« on: August 30, 2012, 01:07:02 pm »
If I do open feeding for my three hives, will it make them lazy and less likely to work the few natural resources still available around?  They are a little lite on stores but we just had a 2.5 inch rain and things are starting to bloom again.  I'd rather they work the flowers, but if there is a big pot of sugar syrup around the corner of the house will they go for it and be less likely to forage what little else is out there?

I know people say they will work the natural stuff first but it seems to be a couple of gallons of sugar syrup would be irresistible.
linda d

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
Re: Does Feeding Make the Bees Lazy?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 01:20:59 pm »
I don't think anything makes a bee lazy.  They will still fly out looking for blooms even when they have sugar syrup on their hive.  Good luck with your bees.

Joe

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 08:05:01 pm »
Busy as a bee.   Bees still find stuff to do.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 08:14:10 pm »
If I do open feeding for my three hives, will it make them lazy and less likely to work the few natural resources still available around?  They are a little lite on stores but we just had a 2.5 inch rain and things are starting to bloom again.  I'd rather they work the flowers, but if there is a big pot of sugar syrup around the corner of the house will they go for it and be less likely to forage what little else is out there?

I know people say they will work the natural stuff first but it seems to be a couple of gallons of sugar syrup would be irresistible.

I can work where live bees not death one  :roll: Just my $0.02

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 07:12:31 am by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Wolfer

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 10:48:19 pm »
I can tell when a flow is on because my bees stop taking sugar. If its a light flow they just slow down on the sugar.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 11:32:37 pm »
I can tell when a flow is on because my bees stop taking sugar. If its a light flow they just slow down on the sugar.

That is true.  But if you have flow, why to feed with sugar?
It restrict the brooding area and mi sugar to honey.

If hive has good flow, and you put open honey outside, bees go to flowers and not suck the honey.
But when willow ceases, bees start to rob other sources than flowers.

Last Spring I had a hive among big blooming willows. Hive was almost starving when I brought it the place.
Couple days later I went to give sugar syrup. When I opened the hive, they had brought in 2 days more willow honey than I had syrup with me.
But of course, if it becomes rainy week, they eate it all in very short time.

Language barrier NOT included

anything