Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Deep, Medium, and Shallow  (Read 1404 times)

Offline mherndon

• House Bee
  • New Bee
Deep, Medium, and Shallow
« on: February 06, 2009, 10:20:20 pm »
I bought a nuc last Spring '08.  I started them in a deep box and then put a medium on when they were near full in the deep.  By the end of Summer both boxes were full of bees.  I put on a shallow super to give them more room for stores for the Winter.  Going into November the medium box and shallow box were near full of stores.  I checked on them today and the cluster was primarily in the medium box.  I wish I had put a medium box on instead of the shallow, but can't go back now.  I would like to have a deep and two mediums for the brood area.  If I put the medium on the bottom and another medium with just foundation on that would I need to hold the deep to go on top until the medium is drawn out with comb?  I think I have them in good shape to really boom this Spring now that I have drawn comb to start with.  I just wasn't sure if they would jump or bypass the middle medium with just foundation and go to the deep with drawn comb on top.

Another question:  What would be the optimum number of medium frames, with brood and bees, to do a walk away split.

Mark
Starting my 3rd year and still having a ball!

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Deep, Medium, and Shallow
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 10:32:32 pm »
When the honey flow starts, they will fill from the top down. If you want them to draw comb, put that box on top.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 11:14:34 pm »
Another question:  What would be the optimum number of medium frames, with brood and bees, to do a walk away split.

what kind of split do you want to do?  If you have one hive and are splitting it a walk away split is pretty much taking 1 or the 2 brood boxes and placing it on another stand.  The box without the queen will make their own.
In a normal split you're moving about 1/3 the frames and bees into another hive body.  Another way is to rob 1 or 2 frames from each of several hives and creating a combined split.  This leaves the original hives much stronger while still increasing your hive numbers.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline mherndon

• House Bee
  • New Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 08:32:57 am »
I'll probably try to find the old queen and move 3-4 frames of bees and brood to another box.  The old queen hive will be relocated to simulate a swarm. 

Mark
Starting my 3rd year and still having a ball!

anything