Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarm Season  (Read 1284 times)

Offline rail

• House Bee
Swarm Season
« on: April 29, 2011, 10:41:10 am »
When is swarm season in the Piedmont of North Carolina?

iddee, have you seen any swarms in Randolph this year? Has the rain and cool weather effected the swarm season?

Charles
Sirach

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Swarm Season
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 04:01:21 pm »
They have been swarming strongly for 2 to 3 weeks.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline rail

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 12:22:32 pm »
I put out a 5 frame nuc with 3 drawn frames, 2 frames with foundation and lemongrass oil.

Noticed a scout bee coming out of the nuc this morning, what else should I do?

Charles
Sirach

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 12:40:37 pm »
I put out a 5 frame nuc with 3 drawn frames, 2 frames with foundation and lemongrass oil.

Noticed a scout bee coming out of the nuc this morning, what else should I do?

Charles

Cross your fingers and hope for the best. Its kind of like fishing-just because you have a baited hook in the water doesnt guarantee success. Improve your odds by placing several out in different areas.

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 02:04:13 pm »
I've had them come in and investigate my empty hives, nucs, and so on close to the ground, but where I caught one was in a tree about 10 feet up.  One frame of drawn comb, frames with starter strips, and a cotton pad with lemon grass oil in a sandwich ziploc baggie.
"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.

anything